Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not normal to nurse all night at 6 months?

Default Re: Not normal to nurse all night at 6 months?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amees.mom View Post
    I agree!

He does have helpfull suggestions about other things, like eating and drinking, but always being very bf-friendly. Hasn't pushed me on any weaning nonsense. But if I don't mind her sleeping with me at night, what business is it of his? Lol.
    Exactly. I just don't offer that sort of information either A) if they don't need it (which doctors don't) or B) if I don't think they'll approve.

You wouldn't have known that your doctor wasn't going to be supportive and since they had been until now, I would have told them too. However now that you know they're not supportive, if they bring up sleep in the future, just say it's going well and leave it at that.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    my almost 23 month old nurses 3-8x night. If you're co-sleeping, essentially your baby is sleeping right next to her favorite all you can eat restaurant and why not take a sip now and then? It's normal and you're fine. Your baby will move out when she's ready and not nurse at night when she's ready (unless you need it earlier and work on night weaning, which is an individual decision of course).
    My thoughts exactly. My LO (almost 6 months) eats little snacks most of the night. Neither of us really totally wakes up. He does most of his eating at night and I don't want to take that away from him. Take what you want from the Doc, which it sounds like that is what you are doing. Just let the weird advice go in one ear and out the other.
    EBFing my wonderful son, born 12/2010
    We CD, , Natural Birth, and
    Doula in MS/AL/TN tri-state area.
    Homebirth and Midwifery activist

i had such a good laugh with your comments ladies...My ped said the same thing to me at my DD 6 month check up and then at her 9 month check up last week asked me what milk is she taking....mine...what else...just mine! Oh no formula?...No like i tell you each time! And no she doesn't sleep through the night nurses 4 to 5 times per night...He looked at me like i was insane and gave me some sharp parenting advice and i just heard...bla wont blaldldldldldldld digglgllglelelele hahahah wooof woof!!!!
    I am tired from not having more than an hour of sleep straight of sleep per night...but i have been doing a lot better since i threw all expectations out the window and followed my instinct...If DD wakes up clawing from the breast...my instict is saying: Baby hungry or needs comfort, mama tired...give her boobie already so we can all sleep...DO WHAT FEELS RIGHT TO YOU MAMA!
    first time mama to a gassy but adorable baby named Makayla- Wouldn't give up breasfeeding for anything in the world.

We co-sleep, we love and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*feedingmama27 View Post
    i had such a good laugh with your comments ladies...My ped said the same thing to me at my DD 6 month check up and then at her 9 month check up last week asked me what milk is she taking....mine...what else...just mine! Oh no formula?...No like i tell you each time! And no she doesn't sleep through the night nurses 4 to 5 times per night...He looked at me like i was insane and gave me some sharp parenting advice and i just heard...bla wont blaldldldldldldld digglgllglelelele hahahah wooof woof!!!!
    I am tired from not having more than an hour of sleep straight of sleep per night...but i have been doing a lot better since i threw all expectations out the window and followed my instinct...If DD wakes up clawing from the breast...my instict is saying: Baby hungry or needs comfort, mama tired...give her boobie already so we can all sleep...DO WHAT FEELS RIGHT TO YOU MAMA!
    YES! To all of this. Also,
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Dude, my BOTTLEfed baby still wakes about 3 times a night! Yeah, it's BM, but we know how much he's taking, and in theory..it's enough to make him only wake maybe once. It's a physiologic thing, and your doc.....
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    Honestly, why do doctors even comment on sleep? I mean really, as long as baby IS sleeping (which they all do) then from a health stand point, their questions / comments should END.

Life style choices should be left up to the parents.
    well said. I agree.. You can't force a baby to sleep through the night formula or breast fed they just do what they want. (at least in my humble opinion) My son still nursed at night till he was 2..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    and at your doc. Yeah, most 6 month old babies sleep through the night- in Imagination Land! They're so tired out from playing with the unicorns and fairies that they sleep a solid 12 hours, never making a peep. Oh, and they nurse only every 3 hours during the day, never whine, and all potty train by 18 months.

Just another mama of a todder who doesn't STTN. Have to laugh to keep from crying.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

My 19 month old nurses between 4-1000 times a night. My formula fed ds didn't sleep through the night till he was 10 months and he was compleatly breastweaned by 7 months. My doc has also suggested nightweaning my toddler, but this came out of MY appointment, not HIS. She wants me to because of my PPD. However, I could nightwean him...but then I would actually have to wake up to deal with his nightwakings rather then only half-wake and pull out a boob. Babies will sleep in there own time. Besides, as adult we don't sleep for 8-12 hours straight, we just don't remember waking. Also, if we get hungery at 3 am, we got to the fridge...we are the fridge for our babies.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

My 5 1/2 month old still eats throughout the night but I can't honestly say how many times anymore because I'm not sure if either of us are fully awake
    Mom to Raven [3/24/06] & Logan [ 1/10/11 ] [ while working ] and going strong

So glad to have joined this forum and get some reassurance that there are so many others who share similar experiences! I attend a baby and me group and it seems like most of the babies there sleep solidly thru the night. These babies are all on formula, and nothing against that, but I just feel like a bit of an outsider because I feel that the BF relationship is so different when it comes to nighttime parenting. The concepts of attachment parenting really make sense to me and I know it's fine in theory to continue to nurse at night, but I must admit that the opinions of "others" can really mess with my head sometimes (especially as a first time parent!). I generally don't bring up my night nursing and co-sleeping if I get the vibe that it will be a source of controversy, because I just don't find it helpful to question what I always go back to in my heart as right for me and my baby. I'm always open-minded and willing to learn and share ideas, but I just don't get why if something works for me and my child (as long as it's not damaging, of course) people get so bent out of shape. My son is now 9 months, and in no way sleeps through the night. I brought it up briefly at his last well exam and my ped too had the same opinion that he should be doing this. I was concerned for a day or so and then re-read all the supportive information I've used in the past (attachment parenting literature, LLL articles, ect.) to get me past my doubt. While I'm only nine months into this journey, I really do believe that sleep is a milestone, and have observed my boy make lots of progress, sleeping longer and longer on his own, over time. He used to sleep no more than 45 minutes without waking, now he can go 3 hours. Sometimes he takes a few steps back, and if all he needs are my arms and sometimes a nursing to resettle, why deny him that? Why make him cry and deal with it alone? He's a happy, thriving, little miracle, and knows I'm there to comfort him when he needs me. How can that be wrong?