Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not normal to nurse all night at 6 months?

Default Not normal to nurse all night at 6 months?

We had our 6 month checkup today, which went overall pretty well. Our pediatrician is very pro-extended-bf, but apparently is anti-co-sleeping. Not for safety reasons, which I was anticipating, but because he says it makes it harder to get LO to sleep in her own bed. I wanted to ask "What's wrong with that?" but held my tongue. He also said it's not normal for her to want to nurse all night, that she should be able to sleep through the night and most breastfed six month olds can.

Now, I know alot of formula and cereal babies will sleep through the night, but breastmilk is digested alot faster, so I assumed she wouldn't really sleep through the night till she's eating solids well. At any rate, I'm going to continue following her cues, and not go by what "everyone" is doing.

Any opinions here?
    Proud mama to:
    Amethyst, born Dec 15, 2010. 4lbs 15oz at birth, with Esophageal Atresia/Tracheoesophageal Fistula. One major surgery, 14 minor surgeries so far.
    Vyse, born April 17, 2013. 7lbs 3oz at birth, and absolutely perfect.
    Spending alot of time and .

Default Re: Not normal to nurse all night at 6 months?

(sorry - that's at the Dr. Not at you!)

You're Dr has some strange perceptions. Actually most cannot sleep all night at 6 months. Some babies can at 6 months. but most? nope. Especially if you rule out those who are forced to.

My 18 month old still wakes once a night to nurse. And that's completely within normal.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

my almost 23 month old nurses 3-8x night. If you're co-sleeping, essentially your baby is sleeping right next to her favorite all you can eat restaurant and why not take a sip now and then? It's normal and you're fine. Your baby will move out when she's ready and not nurse at night when she's ready (unless you need it earlier and work on night weaning, which is an individual decision of course).
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

My 9 month old son nurses every 2-3 hours. Yes, through the night as well.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

and at your doc. Yeah, most 6 month old babies sleep through the night- in Imagination Land! They're so tired out from playing with the unicorns and fairies that they sleep a solid 12 hours, never making a peep. Oh, and they nurse only every 3 hours during the day, never whine, and all potty train by 18 months.

Is the night-nursing a problem for you? If not, no worries, and no need to change anything! If it is a problem, there are gentle ways to encourage even co-sleeping kids to sleep without a breast in their mouth. I suggest taking a look at Elizabeth Pantley's book The No-Cry Sleep Solution for a realistic look at infant sleep, and also for those gentle strategies for getting your LO to sleep more independently.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I also really? I bet his children must be super ultra normal, all sleeping through the night every night without fail. I'm assuming he has children? I'm sure he gets really tired of breastfeeding them too, oh wait he's a guy. Sorry my post offers no extra advice, just commenting that I also agree that it is completely normal, at least for me and my family! Hopefully pedi won't bring it up now at every appt...good luck!
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Honestly, why do doctors even comment on sleep? I mean really, as long as baby IS sleeping (which they all do) then from a health stand point, their questions / comments should END.

Life style choices should be left up to the parents.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    Honestly, why do doctors even comment on sleep? I mean really, as long as baby IS sleeping (which they all do) then from a health stand point, their questions / comments should END.

In my fantasy conversation with the pediatrician, I ask whether they taught various things she mentions in the parenting and lactation courses she took in med school. Oh...wait
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post

I agree!

He does have helpfull suggestions about other things, like eating and drinking, but always being very bf-friendly. Hasn't pushed me on any weaning nonsense. But if I don't mind her sleeping with me at night, what business is it of his? Lol.
    Proud mama to:
    Amethyst, born Dec 15, 2010. 4lbs 15oz at birth, with Esophageal Atresia/Tracheoesophageal Fistula. One major surgery, 14 minor surgeries so far.
    Vyse, born April 17, 2013. 7lbs 3oz at birth, and absolutely perfect.
    Spending alot of time and .

We don't co-sleep and my son is nearly a year old and rarely sleeps all the way through without nursing at least once. I have his one year checkup Monday and I know the doctor is going to tell me to wean. He told me when we were there two months ago I could start anytime...he's a good doc otherwise though. He does always ask what formula I feed though. I think Monday I'm just going to point at my boobs.
    Proud mama to Ryan born 6-19-10

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
    - Anais Nin