Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding Vs. TTC - help!!

Default Breastfeeding Vs. TTC - help!!

(May be a little TMI for some people!!)

Hi there,

I have just recently joined the forums, i am nursing Red who is 16 months old. He doesn't night nurse and has between one and 4 feeds a day depending on mood and if i am working.

The problem is this: I am not ovulating!! We are trying for baby #3 and without ovulating this is difficult!! I did ovulate and have AF a couple months ago, but since then i have just been continuously bleeding. It is very light, but more than just spotting. Basically i am not ov'ing and so my body is just constantly excreting the uterine lining I am going to go to the doctors to see if they can give me a shot to force an AF and stop the weeks of bleeding. I am charting and temping so i am sure that i haven't ov'ed.

To what extent do you think that breastfeeding is playing a role in my lack of ovulation? Am i going to have to make a choice here between nursing and another baby??

Any insight or expereince would be good.

Cheers x

Default Re: Breastfeeding Vs. TTC - help!!

We started trying to for baby #2 when I was nursing our dd who was 2 at the time. I also was not ovulating, but even after I weaned her, I still did not ovulate. I had secondary infertility. It took us almost 2 years and several rounds of Clomid to finally get pergnant with our son. The doctors were never really sure what caused it. I hope this helps.

Default Re: Breastfeeding Vs. TTC - help!!

Hi, rooby-rooby-roo,

La Leche League International has a new information sheet all about fertility and breastfeeding. Unfortunately, it is available only to Leaders right now. It should be released soon.

There are some informational webpages about the topic, to be found on LLLI's site.

You wrote that you are considering visiting your doctor for a shot to enhance your fertility. I am unsure what the shot is, but I am assuming it may be hormones. As an note, higher levels of certain hormones, typically found in most birth control pills and other products, have been known to dramatically reduce milk production in lactating women.

There are other ways, besides altering one's hormones with hormones, to enhance fertility. The mother's stories from the above link on LLLI's site may offer some ideas of what has worked for some women. Some mothers find herbal remedies helpful in restoring their cycles. Working alongside a healthcare practitioner is advisable.

Susun Weed, herbalist and author, has some information about the herb Vitex. Of course, La Leche League Leaders are not medical professionals and do not offer medical advice, but many mothers have used herbs safely and effectively.

Let us know if you have more questions or if you've found some information here helpful!

Regards,

Eve
    LLL Leader