Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: At the end of my rope

Default At the end of my rope

Baby J is back to gaining weight and we're back to changing diapers like an assembly line but only because of the formula.

It seems like the only thing I do is pump and nurse but I can only produce a few drops from one boob and nothing at all from the other. J gets fuzzy and angry when we nurse since nothing comes out and when I get him to latch he falls asleep after a few minutes of no success.

Our lactation consultant gave me a breast massage routine and green leaf diet. I'm drinking as much water and tea as I can tolerate. My day revolves around pumping. And yet, nothing.

Lactation consultant suspects that J is beginning to reject the boob because of the bottle and strongly adviced me to go easy on the formula, but he isn't getting any food from me and I'm afraid of limiting the bottle and make him go hungry like he was a week ago.

This is a strange place for me. The other baby I nursed without a problem. I thought we would have a smooth ride this time around too,but even if we faced some difficulties I didn't anticipate this much frustration and struggle. Poor J.

Default Re: At the end of my rope

Sorry that you are feeling frustrated. How old is baby J?
    Have you been back to your ob?
    There are medical reasons that you may not be producing.
    Retained placenta. Pcos, low thyroid hormone, . . .
    Have you tried pumping to get your milk flow started and then putting baby to your breast? He may be getting frustrated waiting for the let down since a bottle doesn't require him to wait or work for it. If you are getting milk with the pump, there is milk in there.Is
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

I agree with mom2a, also are you even having a let down with the pump?

Did your lc suggest using an SNS? You can use it to give the formula so baby would still be getting fed, but would be nursing at the same time and also stimulating your breast to produce milk.

I'm sorry if you've tried that and I missed it somewhere, it's just the first option I thought of.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mom2a View Post
    Sorry that you are feeling frustrated. How old is baby J?
    Have you been back to your ob?
    There are medical reasons that you may not be producing.
    Retained placenta. Pcos, low thyroid hormone, . . .
    Have you tried pumping to get your milk flow started and then putting baby to your breast? He may be getting frustrated waiting for the let down since a bottle doesn't require him to wait or work for it. If you are getting milk with the pump, there is milk in there.Is
    I am also thinking that there maybbe a physical cause for your issues. My LCs both told me that thyroid problems are very common postpartum.

You might want to get hold of a professional scale and do some weigh-feed-weigh records for your baby. That should help you figure out how much milk your baby is getting at the breast.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Ladies,you have opened my eyes to possibilities I had not considered and I am feeling hopeful again.

I've read articles on postpartum thyroid problems for the past couple of hours, and while I cannot be sure until I speak with my doctor I think this could be the explanation I need.

My hair has been falling abundantly for the past few weeks and have experienced palpitations and quick weight loss. I assumed these were all stress related and tried to handle them with meditation and breathing excercises.However, all these ,plus the decrease on milk supply, are also indicators of thyroiditis.

I am marching to my doctor's office tomorrow morning to try to find out if something is up with my body which is messing with my supply. I hope I can find the explanation very soon. It is very soon to diagnose myself but for some reason...I am very excited by the possibility of it being thyroiditis. Weird, uh?

I hope that explains it!! I'm sorry you're in this situation.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

thank you for all the encouragement and sympathy. Lately I have been overly dramatic and I'm sure I "sound" like a crybaby at times, but this time the uncertainty has been hard to endure.

This low supply situation mixed with our adoption process and the "simple" life with six children have kept me a little edgy and tearful. But...normally I have a better grip on life. Once again, thank you! My day looks brighter thanks to your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ladyluck7 View Post
    It is very soon to diagnose myself but for some reason...I am very excited by the possibility of it being thyroiditis. Weird, uh?
    Not weird at all! When I had supply problems, I would have welcomed a bum thyroid as an explanation. Sometimes knowing what you're up against makes it easier to move forward with possible solutions or even just with acceptance.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"