Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Rotate frozen stash?

Default Rotate frozen stash?

So I've been pumping to get stash ready for the past two weeks. I return to tomorrow. I'm in the process of preparing my bottles.

I have a good supply up so my question is....will i give daycare provider my fresh expressed milk for the next day and so on And have a back up supply for emergencies OR do I go ahead and rotate through my frozen supply to get rid of it?

Default Re: Rotate frozen stash?

Hi mama, here is what I did when I was pumping for my babies... On Sunday, I would defrost my oldest milk for my son's daycare bottles on Monday... then I would use freshly pumped milk the rest of the week. That is, his Tuesday bottles were made with fresh milk from Monday, his Wednesday bottles were made with fresh milk from Tuesday, etc. And then the milk that I pumped on Friday, I froze. Then repeated the process again, using frozen milk for Monday's bottles only. Does that make sense? That way you are constantly rotating your stash, by using the oldest milk for Monday's bottles, and freezing Friday's milk.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

What Buff says sounds like a great idea .

I'll start doing that . But right now what I do, is to leave every day two bottles in the fridge (even on Fridays, and DD drinks that on Mondays), if I have a third one it goes to the freezer.

Sometimes she has 2 bottles while I'm away, and sometimes 3, so it's usually rotating.
    Yai

Mamá de Aini 19-09-10 (or, for my English speaking folks: 09-19-10)

Pregúntame sobre pañales de tela Ask me about cloth diapers!

I use fresh milk for all but the last bottle of the day, and then a bag of frozen for the final bottle. Or at least that is the theory. DS does not care for the bottle, and is barely finishing off the bottles of fresh milk.

So if you give 4 bottles of milk, use 3 fresh, and 1 frozen. That way they get the benefits of fresh milk, and you rotate through your freezer stash.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jjs.mzmaryb View Post
    I have a good supply up so my question is....will i give daycare provider my fresh expressed milk for the next day and so on And have a back up supply for emergencies OR do I go ahead and rotate through my frozen supply to get rid of it?
    It sounds like previous posters have shared some things that worked for them in similar situations. My situation was different since I was an EPer with my first, but I used as much fresh milk as I could on a regular basis. (I wanted to give it as straight from me as I could.) I did have a large freezer stash, though, and used much of it, especially when I finished pumping around 13 months.

One can donate frozen milk to a milk bank (www.hmbana.org) if one needs to clear out space in a freezer. My daughter occasionally drank up the older frozen milk, and I sent my freshly frozen milk to Indiana. She's older now, and it's wonderful to tell her about how she shared with little babies when she was just an infant. They have a specific screening process for a donors and can take milk that's been frozen for up to six months.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

Love that idea buff24. I have actually had to throw away milk in the freezer that I left for more than 3 months because I forgot about it.