Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much in a bottle?

Default How much in a bottle?

So I am 9 days away from returning to work, and trying to figure out how the first day is going to go. I think I probably have 50-60 oz in the freezer, and am going to start pumping twice a day after baby nurses to increase that and increase supply. How do I know how much to leave in a bottle for him? I've heard 1-1.5 oz per hour, but is that true for all ages of babies? Any other advice for first day back? First day back is a Saturday, so he'll be home with my husband. Then starting on Monday my mom will watch him for the week.

Default Re: How much in a bottle?

The 1-1.5 oz per hour is true for all ages of babies! When they are younger, they may take LESS, more frequently, but after that, it stays steady. I left 3.5-4 oz bottles for Joe, which DH gave every 3-4 hours. Later, I would fill up the small bottles to the top, about 5 oz. and he would drink less frequently. But I didn't start that until after he was 6 months.

So, two to three 4 oz bottles is probably all you need!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    The 1-1.5 oz per hour is true for all ages of babies! When they are younger, they may take LESS, more frequently, but after that, it stays steady. I left 3.5-4 oz bottles for Joe, which DH gave every 3-4 hours. Later, I would fill up the small bottles to the top, about 5 oz. and he would drink less frequently. But I didn't start that until after he was 6 months.

So, two to three 4 oz bottles is probably all you need!

My DS started daycare at 9 months and never took more than 3-4 oz in a bottle.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

we do anywhere from 2-4 oz. usually 4

My DS is almost 4 months old. He has been getting four bottles at daycare with 3 oz of milk in them. He's there for about 9 hours.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

We do 3oz bottles right now. If we need to go into the freezer stash, those bags are randomly between 2-4 oz, depending on how much I had left over to freeze after making up fresh bottles for the next day.

My DS took 3 4-oz. bottles in 8 hours, so he was right at the upper end of the 1-1.5 oz. rule, but he never took more than that. When he was about 10 months and eating solids well and drinking from a cup water and juice, he started dropping one bottle. They would offer it to him, he just didn't want it.
    Working mom to

Gabbie 3/8/02 BF 15 months

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months

Will 10/6/09 BF 22 months and counting

ds is 11 weeks old, i usually store 3-5oz bottles for his day, and he usually just take 3-4 oz per setting and 3 times before I get home, but lately he can finish 5 oz, maybe he's having another growth spurt.