Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trouble Latching @ 2 mo

Default Re: Trouble Latching @ 2 mo

I don't know that a shield would help, because I'm not certain it is actually a latch issue. More like she loses her latch as a result of some other issue (like getting frustrated at the slower flow). If that's the case it is something she will need to adjust to. Have you tried doing breast compressions to keep baby suckling?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks, norasmommy! I will try compressions at our next feeding and let you know how it goes. I do agree that it's not a latch issue in that she can latch initially. It's just maintaining the latch after several minutes that she's suddenly developed problems with. This has been going on for about two and a half weeks now, so I don't know how to help her adjust.

If she was a little older I'd suspect teeth. She's a bit young for it but you might look just in case. I know that caused issues for my daughter in the beginning.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jamie.s.moma View Post
    Thanks, norasmommy! I will try compressions at our next feeding and let you know how it goes. I do agree that it's not a latch issue in that she can latch initially. It's just maintaining the latch after several minutes that she's suddenly developed problems with. This has been going on for about two and a half weeks now, so I don't know how to help her adjust.
    Compressions were super-helpful for me. My little one had suck issues, so it was a different ball of wax, but getting the milk out so he didn't have to work so hard actually encouraged him to work harder.

This is the same site the previous poster referred you to, but it's a video to let you see how it should look. I found that helpful

http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...lips&Itemid=13
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

This last feeding was better. She ate for a solid nine minutes on one side and three to five on the other. I tried the compressions and yet another position....not sure which helped. However, she was still unsatisfied, and I had to supplement with about an ounce of pumped milk.

Thanks for all of the encouragement and advice! I was practically in tears about this yesterday. I felt like I was letting her down. If anyone has any other ideas, websites, etc., I would appreciate the input.