Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble Latching @ 2 mo

Default Trouble Latching @ 2 mo

My daughter is now nine weeks old. She has been a great nurser from the beginning with no problem latching on. The past few weeks, she has had issues eating. She latches fine for the first three to five minutes, but as my breasts become softer, she has difficulty maintaining the latch. She then becomes frustrated and won't even attempt to eat anymore. I am having this issue with both breasts, and it is becoming more and more frequent. She's not getting enough and is becoming cranky and has difficulty sleeping.

The issue is not with my supply. I was able to get an additional two ounces yesterday after feeding her. I've tried changing positions and the frequency of her feedings. Nothing seems to help. I'd appreciate any advice!

Default Re: Trouble Latching @ 2 mo

When your baby lets go, is there milk coming out of your nipples?

I hope someone comes along today to finish answering your questions...I'll be out of the house for the rest of the day.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Yes, there is. I have even tried spraying it in her mouth to get her to latch on again. If she's not too upset, she will open her mouth and try to latch back on again. She's just usually successful for a few seconds though. And then she starts crying and becomes too frustrated to nurse. All of the resources I've found are for latch problems with newborns. I can't find anything on babies suddenly developing issues at her age.

She was in the 75% for her height and weight. Now she's in the 86% for her height and only 43% for her weight.

I just feel like I'm at my wit's end on this. I hate not knowing what to do to help her.

Did you always have such a spraying let down? Is it possible that is whats making her upset?

Does she also take a bottle sometimes? I wonder if she maybe has some nipple confusion.

Another possibility is that you have a forceful letdown and she's used to that and now that your supply is regulating it is getting less forceful and she gets frustrated because she has to work for it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I've always had a forceful spraying let down. She's not getting upset at the beginning but rather during the middle of the feeding.

@ norasmommy, she doesn't have a bottle regularly at all. I'm a SAHM, and she's had a bottle maybe five times since we brought her home from the hospital. I do think it's possible that she's getting upset because she has to work for it more. I don't feel as engorged or leak as much as I did at the beginning, but I attributed it to my supply becoming more regular. What can I do to encourage her to work for her food? She typically just becomes agitated and refuses to attempt eating any longer.

You could try switching her from breast to breast when she stops sucking. Sometimes babies get used to a really rapid letdown and they don't like having to work for their milk. But making them switch can sometimes stimulate them to go back to work.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

@mommal, I have tried that as well. She still will not settle down to eat. I even try taking breaks and walking with her till she calms down enough to try again. Nothing seems to work, and her time spent nursing is getting shorter and shorter. The last couple of feeds I've had to supplement with pumped milk. I'm afraid that's what we'll ultimately end up doing, although I love nursing her.

What if, instead of giving her pumped milk, you just stop that nursing session? Then when she gets hungry again she can nurse again? It might mean nursing more often for a while, but it will keep your supply at a level that matches her needs.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I would be willing to do that, but she seems hungry right then. She is crying at the breast because she can't latch, but then when I take her away from the breast, she cries even harder like she's not satisfied. I feel like it's a catch twenty two. I lose either way. I am pumping in between feedings to try to keep my supply up for the day she hopefully eats well again.

I have thought about trying a nipple shield but was unsure if it would do more harm than good. What do you think?