Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How fast?

Default How fast?

I know this probably gets asked a million times... I guess I'm just really looking for some positive words right now in hopes that it's "normal" and that she's getting "enough" milk (whatever that may be?). DD (who is 17.5 months) has been SUPER fast at the breast these days. I'm talking we're done with both sides under 5 minutes...probably closer to 2-3? It feels like a couple of sips and she's off and running. I don't respond to the pump anymore for some reason, so I can't really pump afterwards to see if she's getting enough. Anyway, I get so anxious when I log on here because so many of you say that your toddler nurses forever. Anyone else have a toddler who takes the express train?
    (we nurse about 5 times a day, all very fast sessions, even at bedtime).
    Gina - SAHM to Sofia Rose born day after Christmas 12/26/09 and Ava Grace born 12/9/2013

Nursed DD1 for 28 months and am now nursing DD2 going on 7 months!

Default Re: How fast?

I'm sure it's fine. Is she eating solid foods well? drinking water?

My nearly 18 month old sometimes drinks fast like that (and sometimes lingers an hour )

For him I see breastmilk at this stage to be a really nutritious drink in addition to everything else he eats and drinks.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Oh my, an hour! Actually DD has NEVER nursed for an hour, even as a baby, now that I think about it.

Yes, she loves to eat all kinds of foods...and drinks plenty of water as well. I guess I'm just trying to hold on to this relationship, I feel like she's starting to slip away from BF'ing. Our sessions are getting shorter and shorter in duration
    Gina - SAHM to Sofia Rose born day after Christmas 12/26/09 and Ava Grace born 12/9/2013

They're very distractable at this age.
    Can you offer more when she's tired? Or while you read together? It doesn't necessarily mean that the relationship if going to end soon. Her habits could change as time goes on.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Yeah that's how my girl was at the age, too. Now she hangs out more often and for longer sometimes but sometimes it really is just a couple of minutes. I think her best nursing has always been in the middle of the night when we're in bed. Try not to worry about it. They really can get efficient, just let her nurse when she wants.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

well they do get more efficient at emptying the breast as tehy get older, how do your breasts feel? I mean do they feel full after shes done?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*milkylucy View Post
    well they do get more efficient at emptying the breast as tehy get older, how do your breasts feel? I mean do they feel full after shes done?
    They do feel "lighter" when she's done... I haven't really felt "full" since she was about 12 months old. I think that's normal though? I mean even first thing in the morning, I'm not engorged or anything to that degree, but I can feel there's milk in there. BUT DD doesn't nurse at night...she hasn't since she was 6 months old. So hopefully my supply is still in tact...I can't get anything out when I pump.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    Yeah that's how my girl was at the age, too. Now she hangs out more often and for longer sometimes but sometimes it really is just a couple of minutes. I think her best nursing has always been in the middle of the night when we're in bed. Try not to worry about it. They really can get efficient, just let her nurse when she wants.

Maybe it is just another phase...but I hope my supply hangs in! I feel more "floppy" these days, but then again I hardly ever feel full like I did when she was under a year old. And like I said, I can't pump anything out...but I think that happens to some people (?) but doesn't necessary mean the supply is shot. She has been ESPECIALLY cranky these days and constantly pushing my buttons (tantrums; throwing toys; etc)...maybe some sort of phase for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*italianprinses View Post
    Maybe it is just another phase...but I hope my supply hangs in! I feel more "floppy" these days, but then again I hardly ever feel full like I did when she was under a year old. And like I said, I can't pump anything out...but I think that happens to some people (?) but doesn't necessary mean the supply is shot. She has been ESPECIALLY cranky these days and constantly pushing my buttons (tantrums; throwing toys; etc)...maybe some sort of phase for sure.
    any chance you are pregnant? I know that is a common question but pregnancy or the beginning of the menstrual cycle can drop supply like nothing else.

I haven't felt full in forever but dd still gets milk. Do you ever hear swallows?
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    any chance you are pregnant? I know that is a common question but pregnancy or the beginning of the menstrual cycle can drop supply like nothing else.

I haven't felt full in forever but dd still gets milk. Do you ever hear swallows?
    Menstrual cycle drastically effects my supply, unfortunately. She starts getting fussy with the taste right around ovulation and then my supply starts to taper off for another week. I swear it seems like my supply starts to drop starting right at ovulation and continuing on into the first few days of bleeding. Feels like forever!!!!!!!!! I'm approaching my ovulation week now. HOPEFULLY not pregnant, not quite ready just yet

Yes, I do hear swallows...I think...it's all so fast with her! It's over before I know it!