Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Changes at 12 months?

Default Changes at 12 months?

Now that my LO is almost a year old, I'm thinking about the changes we'll be making... She eats a good amount of other foods already + nurses 6X a day.

When she's a year old, should I start offering other foods first?

How often do other mamas nurse at 12 months & beyond?

Thanks!

Default Re: Changes at 12 months?

I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

I think it depends on your nursing goals. Are you going to move towards weaning? Are you going to do child-led weaning?

Both of my babies at 1 year + 1 day were still very much babies. Not much changed in our nursing relationship. I was more likely to offer food (or water) first before nursing. I was more consistent about working with baby on "nursing manners". But beyond that I pretty much followed their lead. BUT - I wasn't planning on weaning any time soon. DS1 weaned at a little more then 2.5 years, and "baby" is going strong at almost 21 mo.

Somewhere closer to 18 mo I did start working on night weaning, or at least cutting back on the number of night time nursing sessions.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

For us at 12 months it was just like nursing a baby. I let my child lead the way, and by 18 months he started dropping sessions on his own.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

It depends on your nursing goals. If you want to drop sessions, offering solids before nursing will help you do that. If you're comfortable letting your baby wean at his own pace, you can continue to nurse before offering solids, or just be relaxed about it and sometimes offer breast first, sometimes solids first.

As one of the PPs said, nursing a one year old is a lot like nursing a baby. There's no big change that happens on day 365. But over the course of the next year, things will change a lot even if you do nothing to try to make them change.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I totally agree with the PPs - one year is still like a baby. Changes will happen on their own, soon, if you can wait for your LO to take the lead.
    Mom to Jemma 5/20/2009 , my high needs baby

24 months and counting

We love to

and did a lot of

Thanks, all. Been thinking about this more. Guess will just have to see what happens & let my LO take the lead.

She's 1 TODAY!

Mom to Jemma 5/20/2009 , my high needs baby

24 months and counting

We love to

and did a lot of

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*green.momma View Post
    For us at 12 months it was just like nursing a baby. I let my child lead the way, and by 18 months he started dropping sessions on his own.
    I agree! DD nursed the same amount from the time she was born up until around 15-18 months.
    Ayna ~ born 10/22/09
    Still and despite the controversy of society!

a little village with some trees, people, and a canal in it, Derbyshire, England

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aynasmommy View Post
    I agree! DD nursed the same amount from the time she was born up until around 15-18 months.
    Yep, like nursing a new born! My DS started nursing MORE at 12 months - really peaking at 13-14 months. Now still going strong at 18 months. They nurse for so much more than 'just' the milk at this age (as they do all along I guess!)

happy birthday!