Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Skipping Pureed Foods?

Default Skipping Pureed Foods?

Hi! I've been EBf'ing for six months now and although I'M not ready, I think my DD is definitely ready for food. She grabs at any and everything that comes near my mouth. She drank water out of a regular cup tonight (just wanted to see if she could) and also has gotten water out of my water bottle using a straw! My pedi said start with the cereal and yadda yadda, but I know some women who have gone right to steamed veggies and fruits, skipping even the pureed business. I would just like to BF her forever I think lol, but my mom is living with me now and keeps nagging me about her need to eat real food. And I know she's ready, it's me who wants to keep her a baby But has anyone else done that? The steamed, diced food? I'm not opposed to pureeing I don't guess. And should the first one still be rice or oatmeal? Can I put old-fashioned oats in the blender and mix with EBM? I just don't know where to start And I don't want to start so I'm I'm dragging my heels TIA

Default Re: Skipping Pureed Foods?

hi! Baby Led Weaning/ Solids is the approach you are refering to. no need for purees, which makes life so much easier! im not there yet, my lo is 3 1/2 months, but im going to get this book soon and im really excited:

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-led-Weani.../dp/0091923808

have fun!

Baby-led solids is an awesome way to go! I have done it with both my kids. I didn't intend to do it with my first, but she would not take food off a spoon. Would. Not. So if I wanted her to eat, I had to accept that allowing her to self-feed was the only way it was going to happen. I realized how lucky I was when I spoke to a friend whose baby would only eat food off a spoon even though he was over a year old. She was so tired of spoon-feeding her little guy!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I also recommend the Baby Led Weaning book.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Absolutely! With both our LO we skipped purees and did "baby led" solids. Basically just OFFER baby appropriate finger foods and let baby decide what and how much to eat.

Check out the MANY threads here that have:
    BLS
    baby led solids
    BLW
    baby led weaning

and also this GREAT blog: http://www.babyledweaning.com/
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Whole heartedly agree! Baby led solids (BLS) worked great for us. . Some people act like it's so weird but when you see it in action it makes so much sense. And, you don't worry about their non-breastmilk nutrition until after a year, so if a particular meal doesn't gO well, no biggie-nutrition's still covered by nursing.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

This website is very helpful. It even has a chart detailing what foods and when to introduce.

http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.c...ledweaning.htm
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Yup you can totally skip purees and rice cereal. Pureeing food actually breaks down the natural fiber in food and can lead to constipation. Whole apples are high in fiber, applesauce is part of the BRAT diet. BRAT diet is for combating diarrhea.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

This is the BEST introductory article I've found about baby led solids. It's my favorite and I always share it when someone is interested. This is the one that converted me.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous