Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Eating

Default Eating

I've got a quick question and I'm wondering if I should cross list it with introducing solids.

Shiloh's weight gain has really slowed down some and so has his nursing. He is on a pretty set sleep schedule, but I offer him the breast as much as he'll take it. He's not a huge comfort nurser and he doesn't demand to be fed a lot.

He's nursing about 5 times a day, sometimes 6. He doesn't seem to be very hungry, but he's also not getting a whole lot in the way of solids. He's had many tastes of things, but by no means a sit down meal or substantial portions.

He weighed 9.5 at birth, 14lbs at 3 mos and 16.10 at 6mos (well, 1 week shy of 6mos).

The doctor didn't say anything about his weight, and didn't suggest that there was a problem. My question is, should he be eating more? If he only nursed 5 times a day and had a lot of solids, that'd be different, but he still only nurses. I physically can't make him eat more...he already is a pill to nurse. He bites me if I try to make him nurse when he doesn't want to.

Does his weight seem ok, should I try to offer more solid food? I have made some fruits and veggies for him, and he LOVES to eat off the spoon and is sooooooo curious, so that's not the issue. And if I am going to give him something, I always nurse him first. He loves applesauce and opens his mouth for the spoon before I give it to him, but I try not to give him too much right now.

I'm rambling. What do y'all think, just me being neurotic? He didn't gain a whole lot in 3 mos. I'm fighting off my mom who tells me to give him more solids. We're a middle of the road family....adopt some practices of AP and child led, and some of the "other" stuff too. I do want him to eat off of a spoon and learn many different tastes and textures, I've given him bites of our stuff whole that he can suck and chew on, and I've given him things off of a spoon.

Ok, I'll wait for responses. TIA!

Leslie
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Default Re: Eating

Leslie,
    I think your fine. Your job is to provide quality an opportunity, they decide quantity. He's old enough to be trusted to regulate his own intake. A 6month old is very efficient a emptying the breast and frankly they are distracted at this age.
    You said your on a sleep schedule and I'm not sure what that looks like but because of the decreased eating that began right when he started trying to move I always nurse him down for his naps. It would give me between two and 4 opportunities to feed him during the day at that age. They may be the only times. I don't know if that will work for you are not. The thing w/ child led is that like breastfeeding they control their intake. So if you think he will eat more solid, then give them. At 6months DJ was completely content w/ one thing once a day. IF your baby wants more give him more. But I don't think that he's nursing less so that you will feed him more KWIM? I think he's nursing less because he's figured out that he can do more than Eat, Sleep, Poop and Cry. So he's distracted. If you are continually offering the breast and he only chooses to eat 5 or 6x a day than so be it!
    HTH!

Thanks Shelly. I nurse Shiloh when he first wakes up in the morning and after each of his 3 naps, and before bed. Those are the 5 times that I know he'll eat. He's so funny about going to sleep that I guess I can't complain! If he's realllllllllllllly tired, I can nurse him down...but he doesn't like to nurse if he's just getting sleepy...we just lay him in his bed and he goes right to sleep(no fussing or crying, usually) I dont have a problem letting him nurse to sleep.

We do not co-sleep but DH said that I could bring him to bed right as I am climbing into bed and nurse him as long as I put him back before I go to sleep. Well, wouldn't you know it, but he didn't want to eat? LOL, I guess I need to relax and listen to him more. He nursed off the left side (my small one) really well and emptied me, but he SCREAMED and woke DH when I tried to nurse him off the right side. I got out of bed and took him back to his room and tried to nurse him in the rocking chair....he arched his back, screamed, put his fingers in his mouth and went back to sleep the moment I put him in his crib.

I don't think he was hungry, KWIM??? I'll stop being neurotic someday.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    IF your baby wants more give him more. But I don't think that he's nursing less so that you will feed him more KWIM?
    That's what I am afraid of. If I start giving him more solids (in all honesty, I know he'd take them in a heartbeat) will he stop wanting to nurse completely? For so many of the women around me, and very well meaning good moms, their goal is just to nurse to a year. I dont know that I could nurse until 4, but I don't want to start giving him so much food that he stops wanting to nurse. I guess its my fear and is therefore the basis of this question I have.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I don't know if you've been reading my posts lately but at about 8 & 1/2 months DJ really increased his interest in solids. From one thing once a day to two meals a day. Even with a dramatic increase in solid food, I don't believe we've actually started to wean at all. I don't think he associates eating real food w/hunger. I think he associates it w/ exploration and just since Sept TASTE! I believe he's coming to expect the ritual of lunch and dinner and enjoys it very much....I am soo surprised at how much and how diversely he is eating!! But he's not nursing any less. In fact his nursing has still been increasing for comfort in conjunctin w/ his teething pain. Sooo while I was hesitant at 6months for very different reasons ( He weighed 19lbs and I was concerned about him becoming overweight w/ the intro of solids) I also felt no pressure to introduce solids because I knew he could be sustained on BM alone. So Long answer...DON'T WORRY (Either way!! More solids or none!

I just wanted to reassure you about Shiloh's size...dd was very chunky at 6 months, but was short too...now she is 10 months and still only weighs 16 lbs...they grow in spurts and sometimes their height and weight spurts don't coincide! As for the solids I have the same concerns, but I think Shelly is right..its really about exploration!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I think you could probably offer SOME more solids without offering so much that he'd start to replace all the breastmilk, KWIM? As long as you keep nursing first before solids, and not giving him TOO much solids, I don't think a little more would hurt. I don't think you need to worry too much about the weight, though. It sounds like you have a very strong willed baby who knows what he wants and when he wants it .