Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleeping too much and not eating enough!

Default Sleeping too much and not eating enough!

Last night I fed my little guy from the breast and then daddy gave him a pumped bottle and he finished an additional 3 onces! I could tell he had eaten too much and had a tummy ache. Then he slept almost 6 hours only waking a little and then dosing back off. I woke him twice an fed him last night. He would eat for 10 minutes and dose back off.

I thought that he was going to be on a feeding frenzy today but instead he has been sleeping almost ALL DAY! He wakes, feeds for 10 minutes, and goes back to sleep. I have the lights and fan on and nothing is waking him up. I can tell he is not eating as much as usual because my breasts feel fuller than usual. He has had a good amount of wet diapers and his normal poopy diaper output so far. But I am really worried. Why is he sleeping so much???

Default Re: Sleeping too much and not eating enough!

how old is he?

3 weeks today.

This has just been going on since last night?

Why are you giving bottles? I would just nurse. 3 weeks is little, usually the recommendation to start bottles is 4-6 weeks at the earliest. There is no need for them if you are with him honestly.

He may just be getting sick or not feeling well. Forget the bottles, watch his diapers and call the dr if you think he may be sick.

ell us how is goes. Best of luck to you mama.

There are various growth spurts ... I think one happens around 3 weeks depending on what week during your pregnancy the baby was born.

I fed DD every 4 hours for the first 3 months of her life. I was obsessive that way. So long as your baby eats, pees and poops regularly then I wouldn't be too alarmed.

But you should make sure your baby is eating regularly and is getting milk when he nurses. I would hold him while he sleeps and give him a breast to suckle. If you think something is up don't hesitate to take him in to a doc. Also be on the look out for signs of dehydration. More info on that here: http://www.llli.org/nb/nbnovdec94p184sup.html

I used to sit at the computer with my daughter on a boopy when she slept during the day. I just kept her up against my chest and she would nurse then go right back to sleep for a bit.

She became a lovely fat baby. <3
    being a SAHM to DD born 12/09

I completely agree with just giving the baby the breast. Officially my answer to any problem with my lo is, here, take the breast

How do moms not breastfeed? I think I would be totally lost

We started giving him a bottle when I was so engorged that I couldn't hand express enough milk off to get him to latch. I would give him the bottle of less than an once I pumped off the front and then the breast. I was worried about nipple confusion, but I think his latch actually got better since then.

Now daddy gives him one pumped bottle at night before he goes to bed and mommy gets an extra hour of sleep. It works for us.

The problem was that this night he must have already eaten at least 2 oz off the breast first, and then finished a 3 oz bottle. That was my bad. Anyways, he slept through the night I think because of it. And then he must have just kept going the next day. Last night he was up all night! I guess he just got his cycles reversed.

Thanks for the help but he is doing well now. I was just worried that he had maybe gotten sick or something. He has 6-8 wet diapers a day and 2-3 poopy diapers a day, so I would hardly say that he is dehydrated. As for pumping, I love giving him the breast and I love breast feeding but his daddy bottle at night works for us. I will just have to be more cautious in the future of how much he feeds.