Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Latch issues solved but now we have bad wind??

Default Latch issues solved but now we have bad wind??

Me Again!! We have just solved one problem and now we have another

Ds is 6 1/2 weeks and is EBF. We have had latch issues since the start and my poor nipples have suffered. With the work of a LC we have vastly improved the latch, and my nipples are well on the way to healing and I can now say that nursing is pretty much pain free and he is no longer clamping down on me

The problem is now, he is getting really bad wind and it is effecting his sleep and by the end of the day he is beside himself with a sore tummy and from being completly overtired, as despite my perservence he will not shift his wind.

He was also diagnosed last week with silent reflux and is on meds and they seem to be working well.

He starts feeding well and then shortly into the feed he starts fussying and pulls off. I bring him up to wind him, but we are in a catch 22 as he is upset cause he won't burp but is also hungry but won't feed either.

If i put him back on he sucks for another 30seconds or so and then yanks and pulls off, then re-latches in this frenzy. He gets so upset.

I have been giving him infacol for the past 3day in the hope that it will help.

My flow is on the fast side, but he has coped with it relatively well up until now, and the fussying that he is doing seems to occur well after the letdown has started. His fussying is worse on the right than the left.

The last couple of days has been really hard as he hasn’t had a full feed because of what is going on. I originally thought when this started the fussiness was due to a growth spurt but it has been like this for about 5days now, and is getting worse. I also think that it is now starting to affect my supply a little (which has defiantly never been an issue) as I don’t feel like he is emptying the breast well and I have no feeling of fullness when he due for a feed, where I have always felt that fullness.

I have tried changing feeding positions but it hasn’t made much difference.

I haven't had anythign new or out of the ordinary in my diet that he hasn't been exposed to before either.

I am a bit of a loss of what to try next and am feeling a little deflated that I have persevered through the latch issues and now we have another lot of issues. I am also anxious about all this fussying and pulling off and on will damage my fragile nipples again.

If anyone has any advice it would be appriecated.

Default Re: Latch issues solved but now we have bad wind??

Did this start at the same time as the medication? I don't know how these things work but maybe it's affecting the flow of liquid and gas in the stomach which would give wind that won't shift? Just a thought. Try to keep him upright as much as possible. Good luck!
    Art student and Mummy to Luca born 12th June 09 and Elidi 18th of May 11
    How can time go quite so fast

If the gas is coming out then it is a good thing. My little guy had horrible gas because of poor latch. He just got way too much air in. Once I started giving him the gas drops, he started passing the gas. He was uncomfortable but at least he was getting it out. After a few days he was fine, I think due to both the drops and me fixing the latch. We then stopped using the drops.

I'm sure your little guy will feel better in a few days too.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jessamy View Post
    Did this start at the same time as the medication? I don't know how these things work but maybe it's affecting the flow of liquid and gas in the stomach which would give wind that won't shift? Just a thought. Try to keep him upright as much as possible. Good luck!
    We started the medication, then a couple of days later the latch improved, and then the next day the wind problems started.

We have been using the infacol for 4 days now and he is still holding onto the wind, but I have heard it can take up to a week to work well, so I am hanging in there.