Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Job doesn't care about me nursing

Default Job doesn't care about me nursing

Hello,

I'm new to the website. but I really like all the info. I have one question does my job have to allow time for me to pump my milk. I'm still nursing my baby she is now 10 months old and I'm trying to keep it going until she is at least 12 months but my bosses are making it difficult. Any advise?

Default Re: Job doesn't care about me nursing

Where do you live? Are you in the US? I believe that the new healthcare law requires employers to provide time (unpaid) and space to pump.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I work for the City of Detroit Police Department

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mrsgnatk1 View Post
    I work for the City of Detroit Police Department
    http://www.llli.org/law/lawus.html

It looks like Michigan does not have its own law protecting pumping in the workplace, however:

The health care bill passed in March of this year has some provisions in it aside from health care that may be of interest to many breastfeeding mothers. The new law guarantees the right of a mother to pump breast milk for her baby at her workplace if her company employees at least 50 people. This portion of the health care bill is in Section 4207, giving “a reasonable break time for an employee to express breast milk for her nursing child for 1 year after the child’s birth each time such employee has need to express the milk … in a place, other than a bathroom, that is shielded from view and free from intrusion from co-workers and the public.”
    from: http://www.examiner.com/natural-fami...t-milk-at-work

Have you thought about contacting HR?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

A really good friend of mine is a police officer in MD, and she said the PD made pumping really quite difficult for her as well and was very dismissive of her desire to pump when she went back to work. She didn't feel comfortable pumping in her patrol car (although I gave her some suggestions on how to do that that might have worked for her), but the only other place she felt comfortable was to go back to the PD, and they fussed at her about the transit time between there and her beat. She ended up weaning very early as a result I've suggested that she take the new law, as Tracie gave you, to the PD's HR when/if she has a second child to figure out a way to make it work. By law now, they have to accomodate you.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!