Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: blood in milk

Question blood in milk

I was pumping tonight and i had blood in my milk. Is this normal or has anyone else had this problem?

Default Re: blood in milk

I am not sure about this? Could it be from your nipples??Are they cracked or bleeding or anything?

well thats what i thought at first but it was in the milk and it was like clots of blood

This happened to me in the beginning. It was from my nipples scabbing over, and then the pressure of pumping. I called my LC and she said it's OK to feed the milk with blood in it to the baby. Gross, I know, but don't want to let it go to waste. Are you working with someone to make sure you have the proper latch?

"Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Wife to my wonderful Simon
    Parenting my sweet Noah born 5.2.06 from the heart

http://www.normalizebreastfeeding.com

i was but not anymore, am pumping and feeding her in a bottle she will not latch on to me

Hi there
    In most cases, blood in the milk is no cause for concern. How old is your baby? Many new moms experience something like this in the first 2-3 weeks. You can go ahead and use the milk. Unless there are large amounts it shouldn't upset the baby's stomach or anything like that. If the problem continues, then of course it should be checked out.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

My LO is 5 weeks old, Yea it freaked me out but i think it freaked out my hisband more because it was about 2 oz of bloody milk and it was bright red blood

I had blood in my milk in the begining too. I called the DR and they said it was ok if the milk was a pinkish color but if it was red or bright red to come in and get checked out. They said it was a broken blood vessel and usually nothing to worry about and ok to give to the baby. I was lucky and it healed on it's own but if your milk was bright red I would call the DR's office and see what they say, you may have to be checked out. I was also told to only pump that side until it cleared up and feed on the other side. HTH

Just wanted to echo the above poster--a bit of pink or blood streak in the blood is okay, but if there is A LOT, you should definitely have it checked out!
    Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

The only other thing I would add to the above responses is to be aware of the symptoms of mastitis. If you have any kind of bleeding, the development of mastitis (a breast infection) is always a possibility. If you develop flu-like symptoms or a red, painful spot on your breast, please see your doctor. You may need nursing compatible antibiotics to clear up the infection.