Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work and pumping question

Default Work and pumping question

Ok I am a dispatcher at our sheriff office it is slow but i am worried about being able to pump i work8 hours shifts and we dont have breaks is this going ot pose a problem for pumping and jeapordizing my supply when i return to working?

Thanks
    Chanda

Default Re: Work and pumping question

Hi Chanda and welcome to the forum! If it is slow, than would it be possible for you to sneak away for about 10 minutes? When you say you have no breaks, when are you supposed to eat lunch?

LLL states that:
    "When you're preparing to return to work, it's hard to predict how often you'll need to pump your breasts to provide milk for your baby. Ideally, you will pump at work as often as you would have breastfed your baby at home. Realistically though, mothers often find that in an eight-hour workday they are able to pump during morning, lunch and afternoon breaks. Since time is in such short supply, using a pump that allows access to both breasts at the same time is a real help. By double pumping, mothers keep their prolactin (an important lactation hormone) level up, and they may be able to pump in 10-15 minutes rather than 20 to 30 minutes. Many mothers find that double pumping, three times a day during the first few months, gives them enough milk to leave for their caregiver for the next day. As the baby gets older and begins eating solids they may not need to pump as frequently".

This is an article from the new beginnings mag on tips for pumping at work
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJanFeb05p18.html

Also you may have some rights where you live regarding breaks (meal or smoke) you could use that time to pump.

HTH

Will you have a bathroom break? Can you use that to do a quick pump? Even if you're not pumping enough during the day to provide all your baby needs the next day, you'll want to express some milk to relieve engorgement. You can pump at home to provide the rest of what your baby needs.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

well we dont have a set break the guys will come in if we need to take a potty break my fear is that htey will do that and then a 911 call will come in the middle of me pumping does it take much to get away from that cuase i could do it in the bathroom and leave it on some instances

I am just trying to make sure that i am not getting myself into something that when i do retturn to work that I will have to change everything due to this issue I am just real confused as to what to do i know bf is the best but doesnt it also hav to be the best for my situation too uuuuuggggg decisions are hard
    also has anyone ever heard of a Lactina pump i have found a new one i think worth the money but was unfamiliar with the name which most i am any ways would liek to get the one through are lll group but hate to spend that much money and not be ableto later use it
    Thanks
    Chanda

The Lactina pump is a hospital-grade pump that's usually rented out to mothers, since a different kit is used by each mother. It's a good pump. If you're finding one for sale, it's usually a rental that wasn't returned, as has been reported to the manufacturer as lost/stolen. Ask for the serial number of the pump, and check with Medela about it. Very rarely, these pumps are sold "used" and need repairs. However, you won't know that until you get it, and it doesn't work right for you. And, if you don't purchase/rent it from an authorized agent, the company (Medela) may not provide repairs.

What I'm really trying to say is, do your research before you get this particular pump. It can be a very good pump for many mothers; they are just rarely legally sold.

As for stopping pumping in the middle, you could do that. Just have a towel handy to catch drips as you run back to the phone. :-)
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

well i found it on ebay says it is new never been used. can be used electric or manual dual pump. Thanks for that piece of info.
    I apprecite the quick reply
    My sister just had her baby boy last mondy and she is breastfeeding she is new to it also. she stated t me the other day that she is not pumping cuase it will cuase or to engorge ??? I thought that was part of the reason to pump?

I am just to new to this all i guess and waiting till 2 months to deliver probably isnt the best time to find all this sutff out huh? LOL
    THanks

Asking questions now is better than not asking at all.
    I was fortunate enough to have an office to close and pump when I needed to. However I needed to make this a priority, if I let it go and did not do it while I was at work I was engorged, leaking and decreasing my milk supply over time. With my second I just had to make time for it even if it was in short spurts to just let my breasts know there was still a demand. You should be entitled by law to have a couple of breaks per day. These might be used to go to the bathroom, smoke or grab a bite to eat if that person was not nursing. You will just have to be your best advocate and be sure you are taking those breaks and pumping even if it is for a short period of time. I think if you pump on your lunch break and at least another time during your shift you will find that your milk supply stays steady and that your breasts feel better overall because you are not going so long between pumping or feeding your baby.
    Look for a local LLL group in your area and attend some meetings, they are fun and it is great to get involved in conversations with other women that have been where you are and have found solutions to these questions. Before you know it, you will be the one offering your own advice!
    Good Luck

Thanks for your words. I think I am more scared of the whole process sine i dont know allot about it. scared that i wont do it right.
    There isnt a close lll group here it is like 1.5 hours away.
    I am so glad i found this group forum I sent it to my sis also hopefully she will get help from it also.

You will do a great job. Keep these ladies close and ask questions every hour as they come up! Having a baby is overwhelming in many ways and this is just one of them! A network of women is your best chance as being sucessful in just about anything you do!

Thanks