Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Enough weight gain ?

Default Enough weight gain ?

Hi, I'm checking to see if I can get some extra feedback on whether my youngest dd is gaining enough weight.
    She had her 4 mo check up on Monday and weighed in at 13lbs 7 oz ( 24 in long ) - I was surprised that she had not gained more but the dr said he was happy with her wt gain and that she is in the 50% percentile - she our third and although she weighed the most at birth she is just about the same weight as my son was at 4 mo and I think my oldest was actually a bit more by this point. With my other 2 I exclusively breastfeed until I went back to work at 3 months, and then they were supplemented with formula during the day , and I bf mornings and evenings. With my youngest I am able to pump the 3 days I work ( she recieves 2 four to five oz bottles of ebm while I'm at work - and then I exclusively bf the 4 days I am home. She seems satisfied after she nurses and is a happy and content baby all around - I'm just concerned that she doesn't weigh more at this point considering she was 9 pounds when she was born - I think my oldest had nearly doubled her birth weight at 4 mo , so even though the pediatrician told me she was fine I could use some extra reassurance !
    Thanks!
    Pam

mommy to Lauren - 5yrs
    Matthew - 2 1/2 yrs
    Emma - 4 months

Default Re: Enough weight gain ?

Here is one resource that might help to answer your question:
    www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

Do you know your baby's lowest weight?

She was born at 9lbs. At 1 month she was 9lbs 13oz. At 2 months 11lbs 6oz...

Question Re: Enough weight gain ?

Hi, I'm back and still wondering if I should be concerned or not... my youngest dd is the first one that I didn't supplement for during the day when I went back to work and I'm wondering if her slow weight gain is due to the amount that I pump for her ebm bottles while I'm at work is enough.
    I know every baby is different but I can't help but think that my older 2 had gained more weight by this point, and they were born slightly smaller then she was .
    I checked out the kelly mom website as referenced above and see that my youngest is at the low end of only gaining about 4 oz a week ( range of 4 -7 for her age ) . I've also checked that website for how much ebm to leave for a bottle using the # of times she typically eats a day - and it did say 4 -5 , which is what I leave for her for 2 feedings - sometimes my babysitter thinks she is hungry at other times but sometimes I feel that she misreads her cues... for example I'll get home from work and my babysitter will say she's starving but then I hold her and she's content to walk around a bit or play around a little bit, not my perception of starving - but with her slow weight gain I wonder if I am leaving enough ?
    Anything you can offer will be appreciated - she was up for a while last night so I had plently of time to dwell on it and want to be sure I'm feeding her enough. As I said earlier she is a very happy and content baby, seems full after nursing , and too me looks to be a "good size" baby - I don't think she looks too small or anything . She has started waking up again for a 3AM feeding again ( from 8 weeks till around 14 weeks she was sleeping through the night ( from 10ish till 6 or 7 ) which I thought was maybe due to a growth spurt but after her small weight gain at the dr last week I'm thinking maybe its not!

Please not worry, I too have a small baby. 16 pounds at 9 months, <3% for growth on the charts. What I have had to realize are the following;

I believe that Breast is Best! And that there is a rare day, when it is not enough for a baby to sustain

I believe that Breastfed babies grow the way that genetically they are suppose to grow.

You may also want to read the article on drjaygordon.com, called look at the baby not the scale

If your babies output is good, and she is growing, happy, healthy and meeting her milestones than I would say that most likely she is fine. LLL believes that YOU know your baby best so if you do feel that something is wrong then you should pursues it. I hope that you find some peace in knowing that you are offering your dd the best that you can give her . And if you think that she would take more than why don't you leave a 6-8 oz bottle or an extra 4-5 oz one just in case? Best of luck!

Thanks for your feedback! I know that breast milk is the best for her, and I credit the breast milk to her having not caught the colds and stomach bugs that my other 2 have been passing around since my oldest started school this fall.
    I would love to be able to leave another bottle - but I'm only able to pump between 8 and sometimes 10 ounces on the days I work. I've tried pumping when at home and have really not had much luck, and unfortunately there's not alot of time between the nursing sessions and caring for my other 2 children. I gave her a 4 ounce bottle of ebm last week when we were out and it sustained her - sometimes I think my babysitter thinks she needs more - and her slowish weight gain has not helped my case - the babysitter has a few times given her 2 ounces of formula in between the 2 ebm bottles ( we had it left from when we had to use some during her jaundice and I have it on hand for if there is a day when I can't pump enough ) . I want to keep her exclusively on bm , and have been pleased that this time around I've been able to pump at work and do this thus far , I just want her to be happy and healthy and for me to feel confident that she is being fed enough the 3 days I work ... I look at her and see a happy healthy baby, and I know I need to look at that and not pay such close attention to the scale (I will check out the article you recommended) - I guess I just keep getting stuck on the fact that she was so big when she was born and yet is smaller than my oldest was at this age - and others expect since she was a "big" baby that she should be even bigger now - and I think its too easy for others around me ( babysitter , husband, etc...) to say if I have doubts to just give her some formula , in which case I begin to doubt myself - I guess I should appreciate that at least my pediatrician didn't say that

My 15 month old was 16 pounds at a year and she was not considered underweight. Some babies just develop differently. She was 7 pounds even when she was born. Some babies are just smaller than others. As long as she's eating frequently, don't worry too much