Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bulging ear drum, should we treat?

Default Bulging ear drum, should we treat?

HI there yesterday at the allergist we discovered that ds had a bulging ear drum. I suspected this bc of the abnormal crying the 2 prior nights before bed and the low grade fever. ( never above 100.7 ) The allergist suggested that we not treat it as long as the fever does not go above 103.0 and he is happy/active during the day. I am treating with Tylenol every 4 hrs and he seems to be OK? Any thoughts, I think that the allergists point of view was the less antibiotics the better and that he felt like this would resolve on its own. Thanks in advance for the advice! Brittan

Default Re: Bulging ear drum, should we treat?

From what I can gather, your allergist's advice is sound and represents the newer and more evidence-based way of thinking about middle-ear infections in children. A healthy immune system will conquer the infection without help from antibiotics. This is how they have done it in Europe for years now, but in the U.S. we are slow to catch on despite growing evidence of the dangers of antibiotic overuse.

I hope he feels better soon!

--Rebecca

Yes I have a British ped and she agrees. The PA today however wrote the script, long story short I have not gotten it filled yet just thought that we would ride it out for a couple of days?!? I have a feeling that it is not as bad as the last one bc he is still willing to nurse and last time the pressure was too bad. Thanks! Are you from England?

Nope, I'm a Yank -- but I've traveled a good deal and like to take an international or cross-cultural perspective on things. It was our family practice doctor who told me about the no-antibiotics protocol for ear infections in Europe ... so I think this trend is slowly beginning to make an impact in the U.S. ... but she did also say that most of her patients request the antibiotics despite the latest medical advice.

It's good that he is still nursing well -- hopefully he'll soon get on top of the infection.

--Rebecca

I agree about being very careful about anitbiotic usuage. Decongestants may play an important role however, because chronic fluid in the ear affects how language is heard. Just a thought.

Talking Re: Bulging ear drum, should we treat?

very true - they dont have a tendency to treat ear infections here - at one point i remember when i was little they always gave anti-biotics - now you have to be almost dying before they give em *luck me*

I would probably just wait a few days, too . Are you supposed to go back to the ped to keep an eye on it? I only ask because my DS developed chronic ear infections ( he had 6 in 4 months) and sometimes we didn't know he had one! Sometimes he wouldn't act like he didn't feel well and he's not a kid that runs an elevated fever usually.
    It ended up affecting his speech quite a bit and he finally ended up with tubes and now his vocabulary has doubled.
    It's such a hard thing..antibiotics are way overused and on the other hand sometimes you just need them. I think just waiting a couple days sounds good!!

Tiffany