Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding for hours

Default Feeding for hours

Need a little advice or suggestions. Why is it that my 3 mnth old feeds for so long during the evening/night. During the day she feeds once every 2-4 hrs for about 10-15 mins and seems find to snooze/play/and babble happily while i do things about the house. But as soon as it hit about 4pm-6pm she goes on a feeding rampage which can last anything from being on the breast for 4-8 hours . Am i doing something wrong? can i do something to change this? Shes gaining weight well. Her last gain was 8oz in 7 days and she now wieghs 10lb13oz. I know she is getting milk when she is feeding for the long periods as i can hear her swallowing and if she comes of the breast for a few moments usually she has milk leaking from her mouth (and a very cheeky grin )

Default Re: Feeding for hours

Hi! My daughter was born Feb 6th. She is doing this as well. I am not sure why and what to do. I am exhausted by the evening. LOL Keeping up with a toddler all day doesn't help.

my DD has been doing it since she was about 2 weeks old, maybe earlier. Lucky for me i dont have a toddler to chase

My 3 month old does this too- she eats 10 min through out the day, and then in the evening she munches away. I know that baby's cluster eat, which is exactally what our babies are doing. I have just planned my day around it and got everything done before 6 and then Kennedy and I plop on the couch.....but I also do not have a toddler running around. From what I have learned BFing is that the behavior will probably change next month.
    I don't know how to change this behavior, but it's defenatly not something you are doing wrong.

Hi,

My baby did this too, and at first we didn't even know about cluster feeding! It was a revelation the first night I just kept on feeding him. I've noticed that he spends less time eating now than he used to (he is 5 months old) and that this includes the evening time. I still try to make sure I am not planning on getting anything done but snuggling and nursing during the early evening, even though he is so interested in the world (and distractible) he nurses much less time.

I already kind of miss the hours we would spend together on the couch after I came home from work since we don't spend as much time doing that. It's true they grow up so fast!

Babies often have grwoth spurts around 2 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 mos, and 6 mos and can often coinside with up to a week of high frequency nursing days. This is nature's way of stepping up your milk supply ... but from what you said (doing it since 2 weeks) this may just be baby's pattern of eating for now. Also, another factor in the three month period is that she stays awake longer and is taking greater interest in activity so you may notice increased fussiness as well (which I took as hunger) so you want to try to keep her in the center of activity and see if that helps.

The good news (or bad news, depending on how you look at it) is that soon she'll be moving around much more and become more interested in the world around her than nursing. That's when people start asking, "how can I get her to sit still and nurse?" Try to enjoy this time while you can. DH has commented several times recently that ds doesn't seem to be nursing as much as he used to. I miss it!!!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

keeping DD active does make her happy, she always likes to play. But as soon as you stop playing she will start sucking her fists and crying, which then can only be stopped by feeding. DD sleeps fine at night and only wakes up for one feed in 10hrs usually around 5am (and on occations night she sleeps a streight 8hrs ) But once she is up she loves to be talked too and be played with - shes been known to stay up for a solid 16hrs without napping, and then wants to feed for a streight 6hrs - i feel so drained when she does this. Its be suggested to put her down and let her cry herself to sleep - but i cant do this

Wow! You get 8 hours? That's rare for a 3 month old! Typically they are sleeping 14-16 hours a day between 3-6 months, but definately not all in a row.

You have very normal and healthy instincts regarding the Ferber "Cry it out method." Even Ferber recently recanted some of his statements and admited that his "Cry it out" method is often not used the way he intended. It typically results in a strung out mother and an angry baby who may eventually exhaust herself to sleep. Your baby's cry is her way of communicating with you and actually has clinically been shown to create biological triggers in mother (which is why it doesn't feel right to you). Whenever I get advice regarding my son (which is often as a first time mom myself-- the degree and experience in child development and education doesn't seem to make a difference), I always ask myself, " What will my son learn from this?" When people told me to let him cry it out at night I couldn't square it that I would meet all his needs during the day and ignore them at night. His genetic memory tells him that he needs me at night even more, so I couldn't practice this method. I know this way, he is learning he can depend on me no matter what. Dr. Sears writes a great book callled "Nighttime Parenting" that I would highly reccomend.

Then you get people who tell you that letting your baby cry is good for their lungs. My LLL leader says something that I'll always remember, "If crying it out is good for the lungs, bleeding it out is good for the veins!"

Ok....now I'm completely off topic. Sorry! I know it's exhausting to nurse your baby this much now, but I promise it won't last forever. The nice thing about a baby so young is that right now her wants are the same as her needs. There is no possible room for manipulation (someone once told me that by meeting his needs, ds was manipulating me! ) Also, because you are nursing, you are biologically in tune with her and have wonderful mommy instincts as a result. By you meeting her needs now, you will have an older baby who has learned that you will be there for her and will therefore know she does not need to automatically escalate to crying to get what she wants... you'll know her every grunt and sound (as I'm sure you do already!). Alright...I"m off the soap box now .

Good luck and keep us posted!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

I just wanted to add that Kristi and I have babies just 11 days apart and I too miss those marathon nursing sessions. Ds is so busy these days. What you are going through, though taxing is normal Stay the course

ok i'm only venting, but my DD has been feeding none stop for 8-9 hrs now and is screaming at me when shes off the breast - shes constabtly sucking her fists. I've had to take her to the living room as my DP is even complaining about her not sleeping (hes usually very supportive - no matter the time) I'm feeling the urge to scream with my DD - i'm definately close to crying with her...