Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: thumb sucking

Default Re: thumb sucking

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    lizziesmom - I wasn't attacking you and it doesn't seem that you felt this way, but I wanted to make sure. I just wanted to say how I felt about that article.
    No worries!
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

A couple more thoughts for you: 1) Maybe there is something else going on with her that makes her less interested in nursing as often. Could she have a little bug? An ear infection? I didn't see if you said how long this has been going on, but it's possible it is just a passing phase and will resolve itself soon. 2) Part of the equation for how often baby goes without eating (which I don't think has been mentioned yet) is your own breast storage capacity. If you have great capacity and your LO can go 5 hours between feeds without it affecting your supply, that might be okay. Moms with less storage capacity (which has nothing to do with breast size, BTW) would probably find that their milk supply would start to be reduced if they regularly went that long with emptying their breasts. If you feel you have a generous supply and your LO is getting what she needs, maybe it's okay.

I wonder, too, if your baby has reached the point where she's starting to notice the world more. My DD has definitely gone through phases where she is more or less interested in nursing based on what is going on developmentally. And she definitely nursed a lot less after those first few grueling months where I was glued to the couch.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tomom View Post
    My LO will be 11 weeks tomorrow. Her diaper output is adequate I would say. It's not great but I believe she gets around 5 wet diapers a day (some are wetter than others). I have mixed feelings about letting her go so long between feedings because her pediatrician told me not to let her go longer than 4 hours without eating at night! But I have been letting her go longer at night because she always kept to the 3 hrs between feeds during the day...she just seems like she's stretching out her day feeds too. She doesn't have another appointment for another 6 weeks but I am very curious to see where her weight is at if this pattern continues...and don't think I can wait 6 weeks to find out.
    My general advice would be that if you have a real concern that she's not eating enough, take some sort of step to see what's going on. Find a scale (maybe a breastfeeding friend has one?). Do you have an LC who would let you do a weight check, or a weigh-feed-weigh. Maybe your pediatrician's office would let you schedule a complimentary nurse app't just for a weight check? It never hurts to ask.

Wet diapers should really be WET in my understanding. Be sure that you're considering an entire 24-hour period, though. Of course, some will be drier than others.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tomom View Post
    Should she still be getting 8 feeds in a day? If yes, than it's impossible if she takes 4-5 hr stretches and still only eats around every 3 hrs during the day. This LO is definitely keeping me on my toes and I never know what to expect.
    My son would not take usually take 8 feeds in a day at that age, however much I offered. He knew if he was hungry or not, and he did not (and does not) want to be fed if he wasn't. We did wake him up sometimes to feed him to make sure he got enough (we had real problems nourishing him in the beginning because of his "disorganized suck", but it doesn't sound like you have anything like that to contend with).

The previous poster who mentioned storage capacity of breasts was on to something. My capacity (I know from my many months as an EPer) is large, and that was a huge benefit to my LO because he only nursed on one side for a couple months.

I picked a day when he was around 11 weeks old, and I'm going to tell you what he did eating-wise that day. Maybe it will help you. (It wasn't totally typical because he slept till 4:30 that morning, but it's pretty reasonable.) We had a rented scale which is how I know the amounts he ate.

4:30 a.m Nursed R - 5.2 oz

6:00 a.m Nursed R - 2.8 oz

7:30 a.m Nursed R - 3.0 oz (no success on L)

slept in sling

10:30 a.m. Nursed L (I'm wondering if my notes are right because I don't think he really was on that side, especially as I had pumped the left, but it's what the notes say) - 6.2 oz

slept some time in swing (turned off once he was asleep)

3:30 p.m. Nursed R - 5.5 oz

6:30 p.m. Nursed R - 3.4 oz

10:15 p.m (I woke him up) - Nursed R - 2.4 oz

Then he slept till 6:20 (which was not normal, and we didn't encourage. The next morning, though, he tanked up with a total of 8.9 oz at one feeding. The next night he was back to being up at 1 and 2 and 4 and 6, which is more of what we did till he started sleeping longer stretches around 6 months. We never scheduled him and always fed on demand (or offered when he wasn't demanding because we wanted to make sure.)

I'm giving you this detail because I'm hoping it will help you to consider if your LO is tanking up after she goes a long period without eating. Is that when she has a soaking wet diaper.

I would continue to offer the breast whenever you think she might be hungry (and take hands at the mouth as a cue). If she doesn't eat, she might not be hungry. Just watch the overall WET diaper count, and if you then have a concern, take another step to see what's going on.

Hope this helps. My daughter's now sitting on my lap, so I'm sorry I can't proofread or make sure this is as sensible as I want it.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lizziesmom View Post
    A couple more thoughts for you: 1) Maybe there is something else going on with her that makes her less interested in nursing as often. Could she have a little bug? An ear infection? I didn't see if you said how long this has been going on, but it's possible it is just a passing phase and will resolve itself soon. 2) Part of the equation for how often baby goes without eating (which I don't think has been mentioned yet) is your own breast storage capacity. If you have great capacity and your LO can go 5 hours between feeds without it affecting your supply, that might be okay. Moms with less storage capacity (which has nothing to do with breast size, BTW) would probably find that their milk supply would start to be reduced if they regularly went that long with emptying their breasts. If you feel you have a generous supply and your LO is getting what she needs, maybe it's okay.

I wonder, too, if your baby has reached the point where she's starting to notice the world more. My DD has definitely gone through phases where she is more or less interested in nursing based on what is going on developmentally. And she definitely nursed a lot less after those first few grueling months where I was glued to the couch.
    Thanks for your post. Just as I read it I was wondering if LO had an ear infection 'cuz one of her ears was a bit stinky. so I bought her to the pediatrician today and low and behold she has a virus that is causing a sore throat. So I guess the mystery is solved about why she's not eating as well. Hopefully this will run it's course quickly and we'll get back to where we were.