Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: thumb sucking

Default Re: thumb sucking

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I read that article, and while I generally love Kathy Dettwyler, I found it quite offensive. My child wants to suck and gets annoyed that milk is coming out of the breast. She then sucks on her fingers or her thumb. Sometimes I'll even put a pacifier in her mouth because she wants to suck to sleep but is getting upset about the milk continuously coming out. And she is not given subtle signals that it's only ok to nurse every 3 or 4 hours. She nurses whenever she wants and for as long as she wants.
    And orthodontic issues? Those are a modern day perception of a problem because we feel the need to have perfectly straight perfectly white teeth.
    I sucked my thumb until I was 13. No joke. And I had no teeth issues. No braces. nothing.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babylove View Post
    And orthodontic issues? Those are a modern day perception of a problem because we feel the need to have perfectly straight perfectly white teeth.
    I sucked my thumb until I was 13. No joke. And I had no teeth issues. No braces. nothing.
    I agree with this. Both my DH and I were thumb suckers. I until 8 years old, DH until he was about 10 if memory serves. Neither of us had any issues. My sister did have orthodontic issues, but she didn't thumb suck. I often wonder if there are orthodontic issues blamed on thumb sucking which would have been there, regardless. In which case, it was coincidental and not causative.

Either way - to bring it full circle, if you see thumb / finger sucking in the early days and you are breast feeding - offer the breast. It could be a queue that they need to nurse. If they doze off / unlatch and pop their thumb / finger back in, at lease you know they're not hungry.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    I agree with this. Both my DH and I were thumb suckers. I until 8 years old, DH until he was about 10 if memory serves. Neither of us had any issues. My sister did have orthodontic issues, but she didn't thumb suck. I often wonder if there are orthodontic issues blamed on thumb sucking which would have been there, regardless. In which case, it was coincidental and not causative.

Either way - to bring it full circle, if you see thumb / finger sucking in the early days and you are breast feeding - offer the breast. It could be a queue that they need to nurse. If they doze off / unlatch and pop their thumb / finger back in, at lease you know they're not hungry.
    Agreed.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lizziesmom View Post
    I just want to clarify that I neither agree nor disagree with the conclusion of the article I linked to (not having any experience with a thumb-sucker, except my younger sister who sucked until she was about 7 or 8.) I just find it enlightening sometimes to think about the problems that arise in breastfeeding (of which I've had my fair share) from an anthropological perspective. Of course our culture doesn't allow our babies the same kind of free access to the breast that, say, chimp babies enjoy. But sometimes it helps to point us in a different direction when we look at the behavior of our cousins in the animal kingdom. Sometimes we find the answers we need, sometimes not.

Sorry to OP if this is I hope you find the help that you need!
    lizziesmom - I wasn't attacking you and it doesn't seem that you felt this way, but I wanted to make sure. I just wanted to say how I felt about that article.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tomom View Post
    So does thumb sucking make a baby want to eat less? Why all of a sudden is it becoming a struggle to get her to eat? Am I overreacting?
    It shouldn't make a baby want to eat less, but it can make a baby want to suck less.

How old is your little one? How is her diaper output?

If she's having enough wet and poopy diapers in a 24-hour period, you're okay. It may be that she has just reached the age where she ingests food much more efficiently and so can get her nourishment in fewer feedings or have longer stretches between some of them.

It sounds like you're continuing to offer the breast, which you should do. If she refuses but is otherwise happy, growing, peeing and pooping, it sounds to me that you just have a little one who likes her thumb, too.

I hope this helps.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rcsmom View Post
    My little guy is a thumb sucker too. when he first started doing it he was going longer periods of time without nursing- at first I thought hey this is great but then I realized that he was wanting to nurse but since the "num-nums" weren't right there and his thumb was he often would start sucking his thumb. that is when I started to taking his thumb sucking as a signal to nurse. When the thumb went in the mouth I would pull it out and nurse him. How old is your LO? Mine found his thumb at about 3 months old.
    My LO is just about 3 months as well. But she only seems to suck her thumb in her sleep? So far that's the only time she does it anyway...usually when she sticks her fist in her mouth is when I take it as a nursing cue. So I'm confused. Isn't going 5 hours between feeds a bit long if she's not sleeping?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duaeguttae View Post
    It shouldn't make a baby want to eat less, but it can make a baby want to suck less.

How old is your little one? How is her diaper output?

If she's having enough wet and poopy diapers in a 24-hour period, you're okay. It may be that she has just reached the age where she ingests food much more efficiently and so can get her nourishment in fewer feedings or have longer stretches between some of them.

It sounds like you're continuing to offer the breast, which you should do. If she refuses but is otherwise happy, growing, peeing and pooping, it sounds to me that you just have a little one who likes her thumb, too.

I hope this helps.
    My LO will be 11 weeks tomorrow. Her diaper output is adequate I would say. It's not great but I believe she gets around 5 wet diapers a day (some are wetter than others). I have mixed feelings about letting her go so long between feedings because her pediatrician told me not to let her go longer than 4 hours without eating at night! But I have been letting her go longer at night because she always kept to the 3 hrs between feeds during the day...she just seems like she's stretching out her day feeds too. She doesn't have another appointment for another 6 weeks but I am very curious to see where her weight is at if this pattern continues...and don't think I can wait
    6 weeks to find out.

Should she still be getting 8 feeds in a day? If yes, than it's impossible if she takes 4-5 hr stretches and still only eats around every 3 hrs during the day. This LO is definitely keeping me on my toes and I never know what to expect.

Thanks for your replies.

an easy way to allay your fears before your next ped appt would be to find a breastfeeding support group and go--you can do a weighed feed, and usually they are happy to let you do a weight check on the scale.

Barring that, you could rent a scale, or if you aren't too worried but interested in keeping track, you can do what my hubbie and i do--one of us weighs ourself on the digital home scale, and then we weigh holding our daughter. Our digital goes to 2/10ths of a pound, so you can get a fairly accurate sense of whether she is gaining every few days.
    Proud Mommy to my little Amelia (5-18-2011)

My 10 month old still gets 8 (or more) feedings a day. In those early days it was more like 10 to 12 feedings for both of my girls.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and