Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any tips on introducing a sippy?

Unhappy Any tips on introducing a sippy?

My 12 mo old has been EBF ever since he was born - I never gave him a bottle at all. Now he refuses anything other than nursing. I'm trying to get him used to taking a sippy - does anyone have any advice? Did I mess up by not giving him a bottle every now and then?
    SAHM to Roman (3/6/09) and Solomon (5/24/10)

Default Re: Any tips on introducing a sippy?

Naw...my kids liked drinking stuff in the car they were stuck in their car seats.

How are you offering it? I used to just give my DD a sippy of water when she was having meals. She eventually figured out what to do with it.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Have u done the straw sippy?
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*green.momma View Post
    Have u done the straw sippy?

We taught Lilah to drink from a straw by putting a little water in the straw when she was around 9 months old. She got it really fast. She still can't figure out how to drink from a sippy cup at 2.5 years old.

Also, what about a real, open top cup? Lilah was drinking from one at a year. You could start that in the bathtub, so you don't have to worry about the mess.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Joe didn't really "get" a sippy for a long time. But I kept offering one with water, letting him make a mess with it, and eventually he figured it out, with just a little help here and there (holding it up for him to drink from, etc.).

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

DD used to chew on every single sippy cup we tried, even the sippy with the straw. When she was old enough we ended up getting her one with a hard spout and she was fine with it. I was really surprised that she had a problem at all considering she drank from a bottle for 5 months.

We went straight to a regular cup. Lillian understood how the sippy worked a little too well, and began guzzling on her first go. And when I say guzzling, I mean like there was no tomorrow. The normal cup or glass allows me a little more control over her non-milk liquid intake. Plus, it means I don't have to worry about how she's going to drink if we're out and about

It could be that an open cup might work a little better because it won't be quite so much of a sucking maneuver to get the liquid, if that's what he objects to

ETA: no, no, no...you didn't mess up
    Last edited by @llli*firefly; June 14th, 2011 at 06:46 PM.
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    How are you offering it? I used to just give my DD a sippy of water when she was having meals. She eventually figured out what to do with it.
    I usually give it to him with meals as well. I guess he'll get it eventually. I'm just worried about him getting enough liquids... He nurses probably 4-6x a day (on demand for the most part). He has adequate wet diapers; I'm probably just worrying about nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*firefly View Post
    It could be that an open cup might work a little better because it won't be quite so much of a sucking maneuver to get the liquid, if that's what he objects to

ETA: no, no, no...you didn't mess up
    Maybe it's the sucking that he doesn't like I'm not really sure. Sometimes I'll give him a straw cup to play with if it's in between meals and he has sucked out of it before, but usually just throws it down during meals.

I'll try a regular open top cup and see if that works any better. I think I've heard of people using the small Dixie cups when teaching their little ones?