Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing strike at 15 months -- should pump how often?

Default nursing strike at 15 months -- should pump how often?

DD seems to have started another nursing strike today. She is 15 months old. It looks like it's because of teething. She seems to be in a lot of pain. I've never seen her so inconsolable. I tried Tylenol and Advil but neither seems to be offering her any relief.

I'm wondering how many times I should pump a day to protect my supply in case this is a nursing strike. I pump weaned about a month ago. DD nurses 4 times on weekdays and 6-7 times a day on the weekends. I returned my hospital-grade pump, but I still have a Medela PISA. Given these circumstances, how many times do you think I should pump?

DD's nursing strike at 9 months lasted 5 weeks. I don't know if I have it in me to do that again, especially after my month of freedom from the pump, but I'm not ready to wean yet. Thinking that DD might really wean this time just leaves me in tears. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: nursing strike at 15 months -- should pump how often?

awe hang in there...
    pumping might be wise for your comfort!

I'd try to pump 6-7 times with the PIS. The more you pump, the more supply you protect, and since the pump isn't as efficient at emptying the breast as the baby, I think it makes sense to aim for the higher end of the range.

Are you sure it's teeth and not ears?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I wouldn't go fewer than 4 times, it depends on how much you can do without driving yourself crazy but the more you can pump the better off your supply will be.

Nursing strikes are sooo tough!! We had one last 5 months and of all the problems we had our first year that was the toughest emotionally because it felt like she didn't like me and was rejecting me although I know it's not true. Pump, pump, pump and try to get baby to nurse when she's tired or relaxed if you can.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Okay, I'll try to pump as often as possible. I was hoping I wouldn't have to pump as many times as she was nursing to maintain my supply now that she's over a year old and I've pump weaned, but it makes sense that the more I pump, the better off my supply will be.

Mommal -- that's a good point that it might be ears. She doesn't have a running nose or a cold, but she did have a fever yesterday. I'll take her to the doctor. I thought it was teeth because she had been crying and pointing to her front teeth, but this morning I tried to look in her mouth and I didn't see any swelling. There's a tooth on the bottom that broke the surface a few weeks, but I thought the breaking out part was the most painful, so it wouldn't be hurting more now than when it was breaking out, would it?

Turns out DD has strep AND coxsackie virus. I didn't even see the ulcers on her tongue until the doctor pointed them out to me.

We just finished a 16 day strike here, DD2 is 18 mths old. This was her 4th strike since 9 mths and usually they last about 2 weeks. It was teeth for her as well. I don't have the option of giving up just yet since she is FTT and only will take breast milk from her cup, we are still trying other things. I pump 4 times daily during each strike, this last one I was getting 18-19 oz total. I pump first thing, during nap, after her bedtime and then before I go to bed. It has worked well to maintain my supply and when she starts up again, it comes up quickly. Good luck!

Aileen
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.