Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding preemies

Default Breastfeeding preemies

Hi everyone

I'm trying to do some research for my sister who has recently given birth to a preemie. She desperately wants to breastfeed but her little one is too unwell.

Does anyone have any advice about how long it might be before she can breastfeed and should she be trying to express so the doctors can still feed her baby breast milk?

Any advice would be great, thanks!

Marnie

Default Re: Breastfeeding preemies

She should most definitely be pumping every 2-3 hours for 15 minutes. Our bodies are so amazing, they know exactly what our little ones need, especially preemies. We make special milk for them. My lactation consultant told me that I shouldn't expect my baby to nurse until her gestational due date and that was so true. But it never stopped me from doing as much skin to skin contact as the NICU would allow me and putting my baby to the breast constantly. I personally didn't start working hard at nursing until I got home and could just lay around with my baby on my bare chest all day long.

Please let her know it is entirely possible and to not give up hope. It just takes preemies a little longer to catch up.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I agree with the previous post, your sister will definitely be able to express even if her baby is too sick to breast feed.

I'm a mother of a preemie myself and I used to express milk which they can feed to baby through a tube. I was able to try breastfeeding when my daughter reached 38 weeks.

You might want to tell your sister that there's a website I found that is specifically for issues related to preemies. I have found it very helpful.

www.preemiehelp.com

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    She should most definitely be pumping every 2-3 hours for 15 minutes. Our bodies are so amazing, they know exactly what our little ones need, especially preemies. We make special milk for them. My lactation consultant told me that I shouldn't expect my baby to nurse until her gestational due date and that was so true. But it never stopped me from doing as much skin to skin contact as the NICU would allow me and putting my baby to the breast constantly. I personally didn't start working hard at nursing until I got home and could just lay around with my baby on my bare chest all day long.

Please let her know it is entirely possible and to not give up hope. It just takes preemies a little longer to catch up.
    Good luck to your sister.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

A resource specifically aimed at breastfeeding & preemies:

http://spinprogram.ucsd.edu/Pages/default.aspx
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)