Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! Need cough syrup suggestions

Default Help! Need cough syrup suggestions

I am nursing my 17 month old a few times a day and just got hit with a doozy of a cough. (I saw my dr. on the first day, just to be sure it isn't strep, etc.I am leaving for a 3 week trip in 2 days and really need some relief, not to mention am scared that my coughing will keep LO up all night, since we're sharing rooms on this multi-flight, multi-country adventure (god help me!). I am usually hesitant about meds and have been drinking tea and honey like nobody's business, and stepped it up from Umcka to Buckley's, but need something stronger. I've read the Kellymom page but wonder if anyone has had a good experience with any particular syrup, specifically that it will not impact supply at all.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Help! Need cough syrup suggestions

I can tell you what helped when my mom, sister, husband, and mother-in-law had a terrible cough...This might sound crazy...but at bedtime, rub vaporub on the soles of your feet and put on two pairs of thicker socks. It worked miracles for them. As far as I know vaporub is ok when breastfeeding, but you can always check with your doctor. I thought this sounded absolutely nuts, but then DH did it and didn't cough once the entire night. Hope this helps!
    ~Sarah

Married to the love of my life, Jordan

SAHM to Caleb (4/14/08) nursed for 19 months.
    Phoebe Grace (4/20/10), and 20 mths and counting!
    with #3, due May 2012

Does sound odd but I am so desperate I will try it! Thanks!

is it dry and hacking? or wet.
    The only thing that works for one of my kids is this

http://www.delsym.com/cough-medicine...ampaign=delsym

I thin at 17 months you should be pretty safe to take a dose or two, just make sure your drinking plenty of fluids and get toddler to nurse as much as she is willing.

•Treat only the symptoms you have: avoid a combination medicine when a single one will do the job.
    •Short-acting forms of drugs (6 hours or less) are generally better than the long-acting varieties (but see the info below on the nonsedating antihistamines).
    •Use nasal spray instead of oral medications when possible (see below).
    •Take any medication right AFTER you nurse and only as needed.

from kelly moms.

There aren't a lot of good meds for coughing, a humidifier might help, mucinex doesn't affect supply and might do a little something for you.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.