Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nightwean 2011

Default Nightwean 2011

I'm at my wits end. I'm 16 weeks Pregnant and ds still nurses every hour at night (he's 22 months). I'm so sore and tired. I think I'm going to start mission nightwean 2011 but i know it won't be easy. Support needed please!
    JKM 7/28/09 10 lbs, 22.5 inches still nursing at least twice a day (more if I would let him!)

FDM 11/16/11 8 lbs 15 oz, 20.25 inches EBF

Default Re: Nightwean 2011

You can do it, mama! Just stay calm and consistent, and you will both get through it. There might be some not-fun nights, but you'll get through it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Consistency is key! I feel so bad that I started night weaning my DD several times and caved in and night nursed her after a night or two...this must have been so confusing to her.

I night weaned DD at 22 months because she had only slept while latched on since she was 4 months old. I really wanted to make it to two years, but I just couldn't go on with so little sleep. We talked a lot about it in the days leading up to it; I felt that mental preparing DD for what was to come was very important. We talked about how we would nurse before bed, but then the milks would go to sleep until the sun came back up. I told her that if she needed mama in the middle of the night (we co-sleep) that we could rock or sing or snuggle, or papa could walk around with her, but that we could not wake the milks up, as they really needed to rest. For three nights she was ANGRY, but on the fourth night she accepted our new routine and we moved on happily. We sang a lot in the middle of the night for the first year or so , but now (almost 2 years later) a little snuggle will do.

You can do this mama . It was a terribly hard decision for me to make, but I was such a better mama for it. My temper was so short with her in the months leading up to our night weaning, because I was so exhausted. We were all so much happier after a good night's sleep.

Can your DH help? My DH helped me nightwean my daughter at the same age for the same reason.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Can your DH help? My DH helped me nightwean my daughter at the same age for the same reason.
    My dh would be happy to help, but he travels for work and I don't think I can wait another 2 weeks for him to be home.

I'm starting tonight. I began telling him that we will have books, milk and go night-night, but after night-night, the milk will go night-night too and no more milk. At first he sobbed Nooo but then I kept repeating and rephrasing it over and over.

So we went upstairs and read a few books and then starting nursing. I told him, after this milk, no more milk. He nursed for a few minutes and I thought he was asleep, when I tried to pop him off he woke up demanding more milk. I decided that would begin the milk went night-night thing. He was super pissed. I mean kicking and flailing his arms at me. I offered to sing and snuggle and he settled for singing. I sang Wheels on the bus a hundred times making up different random things on the bus to keep me awake. He finally went to sleep. With me, but without a boob in this mouth for the first time in his life! I hope this is a glimpse of the way things will continue. We shall see...
    JKM 7/28/09 10 lbs, 22.5 inches still nursing at least twice a day (more if I would let him!)

Good job, Mama! I know it's hard to enforce nursing limits, especially when we've been in the "nurse on demand" mindset since the day the child was born... But with a toddler it is okay to lay down the law. It sounds like you managed to be very patient despite the kicking and flailing! Must have been a lot of different things on that bus...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I am going through exactly the same thing, I am 8 weeks pregnant and everytime I try to refuse milk at night he screams and gets mad for thirty minutes or so, then wakes up an hour more and does it again, so i gave in so I could get some sleep.

This sounds exactly like when I night weaned E complete with The Wheels on the Bus ! Hang in there mama. I hope last night went well!

So last night went better than I thought it would. The first time he woke up he was very mad when I said no milk, no milk after night-night, etc. He wouldn't be held or snuggled. He just cried and cried and after about 30 minutes he allowed me to hold him and sing. He woke up again 4 or five times and each one was less dramatic and easier. I hope tonight goes even better since I have to be up at 5:30 for work tomorrow. I'm glad I was able to stick to it though.

Good for you!

It was easier for me to have DH do the nightweaning, but then it was several months before I could do bedtime again or naptime when I finally did wean all the way. I think it's hard to do it the way you're doing it, but then the child is actually nightweaned, not mommy-weaned, if that makes sense.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months