Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Always nurses to sleep

Default Always nurses to sleep

I'm looking for ideas on how to get my 1 year old to sleep without the boob. I'm a SAHM, so my DD has always had the breast, no bottles. I want to wean very slowly, but I'm at a loss when it comes to naps. She isn't on any sort of schedule, if she fussed I nursed, it was so easy...
    SAHM to Isabelle Rose
    Born 6-30-10

Default Re: Always nurses to sleep

1 year old is still pretty young. IF It works its beter then not having something that works to put them to sleep.
    That will come with time some kids learn early and others it takes a longer time.

Are you trying to wean now, or are you looking ahead and having anxiety about the future? If the former, concentrate on weaning from the easy feeds first. Pre-sleep and post-waking feeds are usually the last to go. If the latter, don't sweat it! The baby will drop the feeds eventually. Until then, just use what works.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Anxiety! Everyone is telling me to let her cry, I'm not a fan of 'training'. I'm just all over the place. I guess getting all worked up. I don't know anyone who nursed pass one...
    SAHM to Isabelle Rose
    Born 6-30-10

You can always be the first! Nothing wrong with leading the way. I didn't know anyone who had nursed much beyond one- or I thought I didn't until I was "out" about nursing my toddler. Then women would mention that they, too, had nursed their two and three year olds...

There's no reason to wean at one unless YOU are ready to do so. Don't let what other people did, or what they think you should do, influence your thinking.

And as for crying- ha! It's not all those "helpful" advice-givers who will have to listen to your baby crying. If you don't feel comfortable with the idea of training, there's every reason to follow your gut. You know your baby best!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I always nursed my son to sleep, he will be a year old on Sunday. Then one day about two weeks ago he nursed at bedtime for a long while, popped off, squirmed a lot so I laid him in his crib. He went to sleep no problem and has been doing it since. I have never let him cry it out, and he goes down confidently and quietly now. So in my experience, it worked itself out. It's too useful of a tool to get rid of when they are cranky and it's 2am!!
    Proud mama to Ryan born 6-19-10

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
    - Anais Nin

Not anywhere near weaning my 4 month old, but have thought about the whole weaning process and what will I do without the breast to comfort, put my baby to sleep at night & naps?? I am also a SAHM and DD has only been on the breast. I'm not sure how long I plan to nurse, I am hoping for baby to wean on her own.

I always nursed my lo to sleep but I did eliminate the nap nursing around 1.5 years.. It was hard.. I would rock him and set a routine for his nap and slowly it started to work but it took time.. Our bedtime season was the last to go and that was after 2 years
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

with PPs. There's no need to stop nursing before naps and bed unless YOU want to. If your concern is that your baby take naps/go to bed for your husband or others, give them a chance! You might find that your baby goes to sleep without nursing for OTHER people, while still wanting to nurse when you put her down - that's super common and normal.

In my own experience, it's easier to slowly back off nursing from the least-critical nursings first. So for most people, the nap and nighttime nursings are the last to go. (Again, this doesn't mean an older baby won't fall asleep for a caretaker - often they will.)

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Congratulations on making it this far! What a wonderful thing for you and your LO. I also nursed my little one to sleep and to nap post 1 year mark. I had some friends that did and some that did not. We all felt like we did whatever worked best for our family. It is so much easier and less traumatic for everyone.
    You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong no matter who does it or who says it.
    Malcom X