Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milk blister/bleb

Default Milk blister/bleb

I have had a milk blister for longer than I can remember (it might even have been since MK ). It wasn't until recently that it has started to hurt and bother me and become a more engorged lump. I have tried for weeks to treat with hot compresses, letting hot water run on it in the shower. I have picked, scratched and squeezed until I could see the blood pool under the skin. Nothing is working to clear it. I can't even see at this point where the skin is covered over or where the opening should be. It is getting more and more aggravated because it lands right where D's comfort suck flattening is. Does anyone have any suggestions for a stubborn bleb?
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Default Re: Milk blister/bleb

Have you tried a sterile needle? If yes, how about verging your nursing position?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I haven't tried a needle because I'm not even sure where to poke. Does it matter? It seems completely grown over. I've tried to change his latch and position but after a scary nursing strike a week ago I gave up just to have him nursing at all. It has been there for a very very long time. Months at least, maybe years.

The new "Womanly Art..." has some other ideas about dealing with blebs. I'm not sure if you've tried any of these, but they are: applying a cotton ball soaked in vinegar or olive oil inside your bra (I guess if that fails, you could just make a salad dressing ), or soaking the nipple in epsom salts dissolved in water (2 tsp per cup of water) then nursing right afterwards. Otherwise, you could see a doctor. Personally, I've gone the grit-your-teeth-and-squeeze route. These suckers hurt!
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

I mutilated it with a needle last night and nothing! It hurts like crazy now. I might have to call the doctor. I just can't see where it should open. It's kind of on the side of my nipple.

I don't have any advice, either. They hurt so much! I just wanted to chime in with hugs. Oh, wait. I do have some advice. Wine. It helps get you through the process.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

I got a milk bleb on my right side when DS was only a few weeks old. I got rid of it and then it grew back over. I got rid of it again, and it grew over again. It went down (not white/clogged looking), but still covers several holes on that nipple. DS prefers my left side since there is more milk pores on that side.

I don't know how to fix it.... Seems odd that is has not given you trouble for so long and now it is angry looking. Maybe call an LC or your doc?
    EBFing my wonderful son, born 12/2010
    We CD, , Natural Birth, and
    Doula in MS/AL/TN tri-state area.
    Homebirth and Midwifery activist

D is doing a whole lot more comfort nursing since his surgery in April. He's also popping teeth and has never had a great latch to begin with. Oh, and he eats like every 2 hours around the clock. So I just think it's the combination of all those things and my awareness of it and messing around with it.

Thanks Teal. Wine might be just what I need.

I have been working hard at getting rid of this thing. I do warm water/Epsom salt rinses. I have picked at it until it bled. It doesn't hurt all the time but I can't stand looking at it anymore.

I have one too. Been there since before COLTON. Ignore it if you can.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!