Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long can a clogged duct last?

Default How long can a clogged duct last?

I've had this since Friday early morning. My LO slept through the night all of a sudden.. Interrupting his waking 3X to nurse! So, I now have a clogged duct! I've literally tried any/everything I can to get rid of it. Nothing is working. How long can this mess last? Thanks!

Default Re: How long can a clogged duct last?

Clogged ducts can be very persistent. Sometimes they drain in hours, sometimes they hang in there for days. Does the clog reduce slightly in size are you nurse? If so, it's probably only partly plugged.

Stay alert for the following:
    Iincreased pain
    Fever
    Aches
    Flu-like symptoms
    Red streaks or patches on the breast skin

If you see those, you may be experiencing mastitis and should see your midwife or doctor.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It doesn't seem to budge. Ever.

I've had some just not want to drain and it took quite a few days. Just keep working on it. Watch for signs of infection. And check to make sure it's not a blocked milk pore. Those look like little white dots on your nipple.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Oh, it's definitely inside. I have a huge, hard lump in my breast.

Okay. A huge large lump is not typical of a simple clogged duct. A huge large lump might need to be worked out until soft by massage and hand expressing. get plenty of rest and get into bed with your baby. Nurse around the clock. you can prevent this lump from festering and becoming full blown mastitis.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    I've had some just not want to drain and it took quite a few days. Just keep working on it. Watch for signs of infection. And check to make sure it's not a blocked milk pore. Those look like little white dots on your nipple.
    I've had several blocked milk pores. When they happen, the milk from a large portion of the breast is blocked and results in a very large firm and painful lump. Keep nursing and try different positions to help drain that area. Also, try hand expressing and check your nipple frequently for signs of a plugged pore. They are not always easy to see. For me, squeezing the nipple while hand expressing in the shower or tub, often would help break one up.

Thank you ladies!! I'll try hand expressing in the shower tomorrow.. I am going to the dr tomorrow, just in case. I know he's still getting milk out, I feel a let-down, & hear him swallowing.. It's the whole top of my breast, not just one spot. This is horrible!!! I'm hoping it clears up soon, I don't know how much lOnger I can take it!!!

UPDATE!!!! While nursing just a minute ago, he dislodged it! I actually felt it come out. Felt really weird& kinda hurt.. I wanted to check in the middle of his feeding, but didn't want to get upset if it didn't. I woke my husband up to tell him too! Lol!! I'm so happy right now!! Yay little man!!