Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Allergies?

Default Allergies?

When we were at our 6 week app the other day my LO had a red rash all over her chest, a few spots on her face and arms. The Dr said it was likely allergies to something I was eating or our detergant. We use all natural organic soap nuts for washing so am assuming it's a food allergy. I had the flu the day before the rash showed up and the only thing I can think of it could possibly be, is the small amount of watermelon I ate, which I also ate the morning of the appointment. Is it possible for the rash to be from something else related to the flu? I didn't take any medications at all. If it is the watermelon, how long will it take to be fully out of my system? Was really hoping to avoid the allergy wagon with this baby.

Thank you!

Tara

Default Re: Allergies?

Do you know why your doctor concluded that it was allergies? I would tend to think that there would be other things that could be considered first: heat rash, a virus, newborn skin trying to get sorted out, etc. Does your baby have any other concerning symptoms going on that would point to allergy?
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Hi there, he figured allergies as she had a clear snotty nose as well as some congestion in her lungs, that he said were common with allergies. My oldest son has some odd allergies to chemicals etc so he is going by a family trait as well I guess. He said, since the rash had come on quite quickly, between the time I dressed her, drove to the app and then fed her in the office, maybe 15 minutes, it appeared. He said allergy rashes come on fast that way. It's nowhere near hot enough here for a heat rash, I wish! It was the first time it had appeared and has since shown up after every feed since, and goes away about an hour-ish afterwards. I didn't remember I had eaten watermelon when I was sick, until after I ate watermelon late yesterday. Haven't had any today and the rashes have eased up coming on although still appear just not as badly. She also rubs her face, as though her nose is itchy right after she feeds.

Tara

My DS had and still has rash all over from head to chest. I was concerned but our pediatrician said its what he calls "watershed." It covers wherever water would hit if standing in the rain. Lots of babies get it somewhere between one and 2 months old. There's nothing you can do and it goes away on its own. It usually is associated with cradle cap and is caused by hormones. Sounds like this may be what you have going on. If so it should be gone by the 3rd month or so.