Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: family pressure to wean at 2.. sigh

Default Re: family pressure to wean at 2.. sigh

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I like this! You could also finish up by turning to them, and saying sweetly "Please don't confuse Ben about the du duhs, weaning is really between him and me, not you and him and me," and then changing the subject.

I hate it when they try that passive aggressive route of talking to you through the baby. If you've got something to say, say it to me.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post

I hate it when they try that passive aggressive route of talking to you through the baby. If you've got something to say, say it to me.
    Yeah, good point!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post

Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I like this! You could also finish up by turning to them, and saying sweetly "Please don't confuse Ben about the du duhs, weaning is really between him and me, not you and him and me," and then changing the subject.
    I like this a lot.

Feeling the pressure here too. not sure why though!

My MIL pressured us to supplement, feed rice cerial and wean early from day 1. What finally worked for me was to not engage. I just said ' I understand that you think that'. I'd suggest trying to disengage from the argument a bit if you can this time. Likely no amount of discussion will change their minds. Also, pull your LO aside and talk to him about it. Tell him that nursing is a special thing the two of you share, no matter what anyone else says. And remind him that when he stops is up to him. Then when you her the comment to him about 4 more months, just say something like "Onr day you'll be ready to be done nursing, but not today, right!"
    I found that with some people trying to discuss the issue is pointless!

I've been saying "Joe is weaning, but I want to do it gently and gradually." Never mind if it takes a YEAR or more to do it, right? But it sounds like your family is a bit more up in your biz than mine - I think my family mostly asks out of genuine curiosity. They certainly don't undermine me by saying things to Joe about it! Sorry you have to deal with that - I think in your case, perhaps a more pointed statement is called for.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

i agree, the whole "magic number" thing is ridiculous to me. people with no information/real reasons about why weanin at any particular age always cling to a certain age, as though by virtue of the age alone, their argument makes sense. "it's just time...." no, it's time for you to butt out of my mothering decisions.

that said, it's very hard to deal w/ when it's family, even worse when it's a MIL. my MIL was the same way.. "no need past 1", etc. i just stopped talking to her about it. if it was ever brought up in her presence, i'd just brush right past the issue, and i think it was obvious to her that it wasn't up for discussion, so she kept quiet...

hang in there, mama..
    the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling