Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: low milk supply

Default low milk supply

Hi I was just wondering how much breasmilk my db should be getting in an 8 hour period while at the sitters. He is 7 1/2 months old and weighs 17 lbs lloz. I am only able to pump 6oz while at work. He nurses before he goes to the sitters at 6:30. I have been given him some milk that I have frozen, but my supply of frozen milk is almost gone. My menstrual cycle has also returned and that seems to be part of the milk decrease issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Default Re: low milk supply

I have struggled with the same issue. One thing that has helped me is to pump and nurse every morning. It really helps to get an extra few ounces of milk. I get a much better let-down. I have to have my ds in the football hold for it to work.

Another thing that has helped me is to go visit my ds at lunch and nurse him. I have a babysitter that is close to my work. This is one less bottle that I have to leave at the sitter's.

Your ds is 7.5 months old - have you started solids? Perhaps he can eat them while at daycare?

Here is a link that may help:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

thanks for your advice. The link to me is somewhat confusing, because it says to count your number of feeding which I guess I never have really counted. My ds does eat solids and has his cereal at the sitters, but he still takes in 9 to 10 ounces of milk. We co-sleep so he eats off and on throughout the night also. So when I try to pump in the morning I am unable to get much more than an ounce. I guess I am just frustrated. I think what frustrates me the most is I know he is getting enough at home, and I guess I need to stop comparing how much he is taking as opposed to other babies, because I know all babies are different!? sorry to ramble...but he is my first and I worry that I am not giving him all the breast milk that he needs.

(((HUGS))) to you. You sound so frustrated.

Some moms find that they are able to convince their babies to adapt to their work schedule. That is, baby learns to eat more in the afternoons, evenings, and early mornings, and less during the day. Since you are co-sleeping, this may work very well for you. If a 7 month old baby can "sleep through the night" and not eat for eight hours, it is also reasonable that a baby who is eating all night long while co-sleeping might be able to eat less while separated from mom for eight hours. Have you tried encouraging him to nurse more while you are together?

You also might consider offering more nutrient dense solid foods at the sitters. Rice cereal has long been the first food of choice for formula fed babies, but LLL believes that there are better choices for the breastfed baby. These include avacado, sweet potato, and banana. These are more nutritious than rice cereal, so they may also be more satisfying to your baby. It is important to remember, though, that at this age, solid foods are more about learning to eat than about calories. Baby still needs to get the vast majority of his calories from you milk.

HTH ,

Tiana

thanks! I am a little frustrated. He does co-sleep and nurses off and on throughout the night. He has teeth, so I worry about that somewhat since he nurses off and on. He does not get rice cereal due to it constipating him, so he has oatmeal and a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. I do know that things will work out in the long run. I am going to try mother's milk tea and maybe that will help my supply also. Gavin nurses at 6:30am right before going to the sitters at 7 am. I also read information on the internet that states that the amount of milk you pump is no way an indicator of how much milk your baby is getting because they are more efficient than the pump. So, that also puts my mind at ease. Thanks again for your helpful information

You're welcome.

What you read about pumping is quite true. Pump output is not a good indicator of how much milk your baby is getting while actually nursing. I hope the Mother's Milk Tea works for you.

Keep up the good work, mama!

Tiana

Smile Re: low milk supply

First of all, I would like to say Good Work!! to you...Juggling nursing and working and pumping is soo difficult...I understand how frustrating it can be, my son is 9 1/2 mths and I've been back to work for 3 mths now, and I was always so worried about how much milk he was getting while at the sitter's..and he even has started refusing the bottle...Like you, we co-sleep so he does most of his nursing in the evening and at night..and 98% of his solids while he is at the sitter's..i rarely feed him solids at night..maybe 1 jar of either fruits or veggies...every baby's appetite is different..so just follow your baby's cues..I'm sure your mother's intuition will lead you in the right direction...Stay positive!!!