Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need help storing breast milk while BF

Default Need help storing breast milk while BF

Can someone tell me how to pump and store breast milk while breast feeding my 6 week old. Having trouble managing time for sleeping, eating, and pumping. I"m scheduled to return to work in less then 2 weeks and have no milk stored to leave my baby. Please help!

Default Re: Need help storing breast milk while BF

Hi there! Congrats on your lo and sorry to hear you have to go back to work.

What kind of pump do you have? Double?

I started pumping right after my son would nurse in the am. So we woke up, nursed, I sat him in his bouncy chair and I pumped.

I did not get much right away, it takes awhile for you to get used to the pump etc. I got maybe a half oz so don't worry if you get very little, it will increase. Now my morning pump I get 3-4 oz. It is important that you massage your breasts, relax, do compressions to help get as much milk as possible.

I have pumped 1 breast while my son nursed on the other, that is an option too.

If you are getting very little and nervous you wont have enough for work then I would also pump one time in the evening when it works for you and your baby. My son would nurse and nurse from about 4:00pm on but around 10 ish he would sleep for a few hours. Figure out a time where you predict the baby will sleep for awhile and you may be able to fit another session in.

You technically only need one day worth of milk to go back to work because you will pump at work and then give that milk the following day. I like to have some frozen just in case though. I have been pumping a little less than my son needs the past few days and I dont want to dip into my freezer stash so I pump at night before I go to bed and we are fine. If I need it though, I know I have some in the freezer.

As for storage: I use lansinoh freezer bags. Pump milk, cool in fridge, pour into bags with volume and date, lay bag flat in freezer. Here is a really good video a friend just shared on this site about storage and organization:

http://blogs.babble.com/babys-first-...astmilk-video/
    here is a resource page:
    http://www.llli.org/nb/nbstorage.html

***one thing i recommend is checking for lipase before you freeze. pump a little and keep it in the fridge. taste in periodically over a few days to see if the taste goes off. many woman, myself included, make excess of an enzyme that can alter the taste of the milk. If your baby doesnt like the change in taste it can be heartbreaking to store all this milk and then not be able to use it. There is a way to deal with the issue before you freeze if you find out your milk tastes off. If you dont have the lipase issue then no worries. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Excellent advice from Erin!

I would like to second her advice about not worrying that much about having a huge stash before you go back to work. I started pumping about 4 weeks before I went back to work w/ both of my kiddos, and I sent myself into a huge oversupply both times. You would think I would have learned the first time When you are pumping at work, you will be pumping to replace a nursing session, whereas now you are pumping in addition to a nursing session, so don't worry if you don't get that much at home.

I would recommend trying to get about 2-3 days' worth of milk. If you only get one day, don't worry about it. If you find you are consistently short, you can add pumping sessions on the weekends/your day(s) off.

You definitely need a double pump.

Make sure your babysitter/daycare provider doesn't over feed your baby. Here is a link from kellymom about how much milk to send: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

Pretty much the whole section in there on pumping is awesome.

HTH! Good luck!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Fantastic advice from previous posters

I'll second the tip to check for lipase. I ended up dumping my earliest freezer stash because of it.

Congratulations on your baby!
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

I totally agree with pp's. That said, for me I have to say I'm a total planner and a bit neurotic, so I really felt like I needed several days worth (at least a week) before I went back to work with both my daghters. Several weeks before going back to work, I started pumping one side while nursing the other first thing in the morning. This worked really well for me. But, that said, I've never had an over supply problem. If you had a problem with oversupply, this may not work as well.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mtmama View Post
    As for storage: I use lansinoh freezer bags. Pump milk, cool in fridge, pour into bags with volume and date, lay bag flat in freezer. Here is a really good video a friend just shared on this site about storage and organization:

http://blogs.babble.com/babys-first-...astmilk-video/
    here is a resource page:
    http://www.llli.org/nb/nbstorage.html
    Oh my goodness! Thank you for sharing that storage idea! Although we are almost at the end of our pumping journey (11 months old in a few days). I am TOTALLY going to get gift bags as soon as I can and organising my mess of a stash.

Thanks again for sharing!

Love the video!!! I have a BUNCH of gift bags waiting for another use!!! and alot of milk will have to change out my milk bags though and get back to the flat ones... I don't know why i bought the medela ones...