Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling

Default Traveling

Robert was 14 weeks yesterday. We will be traveling home to see my family next month on a plane and I was just wondering if anyone had experience and pointers for me. This will be his first time.

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Traveling

Nurse him during take-off and landing. I was told it helps with their ears. I flew with Jack when he was around that age and did this, it worked very well. Good luck!
    I'm Sarah. Mom to Emily (1/27/05) and Jack (12/29/10)
    Wife to Joshua (3/6/08)
    We and

with PP. We just had our first flight at 12 weeks and we dressed DS in a one piece outfit with feet attached, which I liked b/c I didn't have to worry about his skin touching anything germy (I am kinda crazy tho, lol). It went *really* well for us, even tho I was nervous! Good luck!
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

I don't have any pointers, but I am also interested in this topic! I am especially curious about diaper changes in the plane and airport...

I traveled with DS2 from Georgia to California on a plane at that age and it was very easy. Just nurse nurse nurse and maybe he will sleep most of the time. It gets a bit harder when they get older and they don't want to sit still.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I flew with DD when she was 5 months. At that age they handle flying pretty well. I wore her in the Ergo for most of the flight. I changed her diaper on my lap, since DH was sitting next to me and it just seemed easier than dealing with a cramped messy bathroom.

A few tips:
    - Bring plenty of diapers, like twice as many as you think you could possibly need. You never know when flight delays will happen and there typically is no place to buy diapers in an airport.
    - Make sure you wear easy on/off shoes. You will have to carry baby through security while the stroller or baby carrier is scanned. Doing things like putting on a belt or tying shoes are impossible while holding a baby.
    - with pp. Nurse as much as possible during the flight, esp during take-offs and landings.

with PP about wearing easy shoes - good tip!

Our flight was really short, so we changed his diaper in the airport before we left (I just laid the changing pad on a chair, far away from people - I didn't want to use the dirty bathroom). We then didn't have to change him again until we had landed and made it out to the car that was picking us up. We were lucky that there were no poops! We're taking a long flight in July though, and I fully intend to change him on my lap on the plane.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Great tips thank you. Daddy will be flying with us this time so that will help. Since we are flying after his bed time I am hoping he will just sleep. Bed time seems to be getting earlier and earlier lol

I flew with my daughter when she was five weeks and again at six weeks. Breastfeeding was really easy on the plane and in the airport. It was just me and her and people were, thankfully, very helpful. One tip that I got that I liked was taking a big trash bag to back your carseat in when you put it under the plane. Who knows what gross stuff it would touch otherwise!!!

Great tips so far!

I flew with Lillian when she was 12.5 weeks and again at 8 months. If you use pacifiers, I'd also advise taking about twice as many as you normally would. I've noticed that they seem to vanish when traveling

BTW, *excellent* advice about packing more diapers/whatnot than you think you might need. Case in point: I took Lillian with me to an out of state wedding over Memorial Day weekend. Our journey there should have taken 4 hours. Instead, it took 13.5 . Fortunately, she was well stocked!!
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10