Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8oz bottles?

Default 8oz bottles?

My 10-month-old DS breastfeeds while we are together. While at daycare he drinks breast milk I pump at work from bottles. He eats three meals a day and drinks water from sippy cup. My question is that he only drinks 4oz maybe 5oz at a time, he never has wanted to drink 8oz. Other babies drink 8oz at this age. Is this typical of breatfeed/breastmilk feed babies?

Thank you!

Default Re: 8oz bottles?

I think it is typical for formula fed babies to be given 8 oz. bottles, yes. I also think it is normal for your child to only be taking 5 oz. maximum at a time. Formula does to change in composition like breast milk does, so babies are given more to meet their needs. That being said, I formula fed my first child, and I do not remember her ever getting more than 6 oz. at once. All babies are different though.
    I'm Sarah. Mom to Emily (1/27/05) and Jack (12/29/10)
    Wife to Joshua (3/6/08)
    We and

8 oz is way too much for their little tummies. It's completely normal for breastfed babies to not take more than 4 or 5 ounces. The calorie content of breastmilk changes over time so they are getting more calories/fat/etc without needing to increase their milk intake.

Actually, I think the new recommendations for formula is to not exceed 6 ounces as well.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Thanks ladies! I appreciate the reassurance! I also have co-sleeping questions and notice you both do. Is there a place, forum, you could suggest to ask about co-sleeping questions?

you can ask it in the sleep forum
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

My seven month old takes three 4 oz. bottles of expressed breast milk at daycare, along with a fruit in the morning and a veggie in the afternoons. When he is with me he nurses and has dinner at home. I just had mine at the doctor for his well baby visit and he is normal weight and height...the doctor said he is perfect.
    The good thing about breastfeeding is that when baby is hungry, we nurse them and when they are finished, they pull away...my other two boys were formula fed and they took 8 oz bottles as well...and seemed like they were always hungry.
    Working moma of 3

Proud to be nursing and since November 2010 !