Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long does it take?

Default How long does it take?

How long does it take to increase milk? If I'm increasing pumping sessions and taking DPD and eating Oatmeal like there's no tomorrow, how long should I expect these things to take to increase production?

I've been taking the DPD for 12 days, eating Oatmeal since the beginning (DS is 5 weeks old tomorrow), and increased pumping sessions starting today.

Thanks!

Default Re: How long does it take?

I think it depends on the mom. I found that it took about 48 hrs to change my supply when I started/stopped pumping. But I think it depends on the mom and the method. I never used supplements.
    Why are you trying to increase your supply?
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

with the PP. It depends very much on the individual. Let us know what issue it is you're trying to troubleshoot. We may be able to help, or perhaps just to set your mind at ease...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm BFAR and may not have a full supply. Though, right now, I seem to be doing alright. I'm nursing on demand and pumping after each daytime nursing session and getting 10 oz throughout the day. But, that's mostly because DS has been a VERY sleepy baby and hasn't been emptying me or taking the amount of milk that he really needs. So, I'm pumping the rest and he's getting it through a bottle.

So, I need more pumping output to make sure I'm getting enough into DS. His weight gain has been SLOW. But, he's starting a momentum now. He gained 14 oz in 16 days. We go in for another weight check today.

My reality is just that if I want to EBF, I NEED to up my supply because of BFAR. So, I'm trying basically everything in sight!

Thanks for telling us more, Mama! I agree: when BFAR, you should be maxing out on all cylinders. Are you working with a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC? And have you seen the bfar.org site?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If it's any encouragement to you, it took me six weeks to be able to pump enough for my first LO. I wasn't in your situation but possibly had hypoplastic breasts. I used fenugreek, ate oatmeal, (tried brewer's yeast but couldn't manage), and pumped like a mad woman. By three months I had to cut down because I was up to 64 oz a day.

Every woman is different, of course, but increasing your pumping frequency in these early weeks should show benefits soon.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Thanks for telling us more, Mama! I agree: when BFAR, you should be maxing out on all cylinders. Are you working with a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC? And have you seen the bfar.org site?
    My LC here is horrid. She hands out breast shields and formula like they're candy. My ped said they are about to get a NP there who is an IBCLC as well as a LLL leader! So, I'm waiting patiently for her.

I've seen that website and read the book! lol This is my second LO and I'm DETERMINED to be a success this time.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duaeguttae View Post
    If it's any encouragement to you, it took me six weeks to be able to pump enough for my first LO. I wasn't in your situation but possibly had hypoplastic breasts. I used fenugreek, ate oatmeal, (tried brewer's yeast but couldn't manage), and pumped like a mad woman. By three months I had to cut down because I was up to 64 oz a day.

Every woman is different, of course, but increasing your pumping frequency in these early weeks should show benefits soon.
    Ok, this makes me feel a little better. As I sit here right now PAK, I'm getting about triple the output I usually get at this hour of the day, so maybe things are starting to pickup.

Oh, and DS gained 6.3 oz in 3 days, so my supply looks sufficient right now, it's just a matter of getting the milk into the baby!

Congratulations!

Have you tried cup feeding? With it there's no possibility of LO developing a nipple preference.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?