Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it true that BF babies have a "weaker" gut?

Default Re: Is it true that BF babies have a "weaker" gut?

I know, Sarale. It has me twitchy. But so much of it created an aha moment. My gut health has never been great and I had 2 sections AND both of my children have gut issues. It makes so much sense to me. It really made me think even more about how my health is crucial to that of my offspring.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Good discussion!

I've decided the doctor was telling her opinion. Clea is doing better on this other antibiotic. I've been giving her probiotics.

I will have to go read all of the articles linked here....

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

This is all fascinating! DS2 is taking ABX for the first time and has some nasty poop. It hasn't been too bad and I think maybe that's because of the probiotics. I'm glad that we happen to be switching to disposables in preparation for our cross country trip.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    I know, Sarale. It has me twitchy. But so much of it created an aha moment. My gut health has never been great and I had 2 sections AND both of my children have gut issues. It makes so much sense to me. It really made me think even more about how my health is crucial to that of my offspring.
    My gut health was always fine (despite my mom's cealiac disease) but it has been out of whack since I had DS (abx after he was born for an infection I got) and even worse after DD (GBS+ and they got as much abx into me as they could in the hour or less I was there) DS was born not breathing so he was touched a lot he has major poop issues. DD came straight to me. She is much better but she has yeasty tendencies...

I am definitely wondering about GSB+ mothers (and was already, the risk is small but great and the side effects are small but long lasting)
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    Huh. Never heard that one before. I've had lots of docs say "good!" for continuing to bf because of all the yummy immunities and good nutrition child is getting.

IMO they SHOULD tell you to be giving your LO probiotics any time LO (or you while you are breastfeeding) need to be on abx.

Can't take them at the same time - so if abx 2 times a day (morning & night), then take probiotics mid-day. If abx 1 time a day - do probiotics at the opposite time (such as abx in the morning & probiotics at night).

One thing that WILL happen - if your older baby or toddler is sick and not eating much and has gone from eating solids to being exclusively or mostly breastfed again, the child's poops will return to being like baby breastmilk poops. Which makes sense if the child is mostly / only "eating" breastmilk.

Hope she's feeling better!
    Good advice.
    I'm a pharmacist. Definitely some people are more sensitive to the flora-destruction of antibiotics than others. Even adults. So the BF angle makes no sense to me. And Keflex happens to be very hard on the gut apart from killing off the good bacteria. Not a great option for little people. It's not even drug of choice for UTI. My DS just got over a nasty case of gastroenteritis, which he had for 6 days. He nursed exclusively during that time. His poops turned yellow, but I was confident he was getting the fluid he needed to prevent dehydration. Pretty sure the nursing was what helped his gut, rather than made it "weak."

Maybe it's just because formula fed babies are more likely to be constipated. . .
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!