Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it true that BF babies have a "weaker" gut?

Default Re: Is it true that BF babies have a "weaker" gut?

Here's the commercial that bugged me, with an interesting article - http://scienceblogs.com/deanscorner/...ience_baby.php

And what is the magic ingredient? Probiotics of course!

That's why I think the "weak gut" concept is just silliness. Breastmilk makes baby's guts stronger. Antibiotics make ANYONE's gut weaker.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I looked up that study about bacteria - here's an article.

Love the headline: "Humans Carry More Bacterial Cells than Human Ones." Awesome. Now I need to read it. (Actually, there are TEN TIMES as many bacterial cells as human ones! )

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Maybe and I am just guessing a breastfeed baby would have a stronger reaction to the antibiotics because they get sick so seldom they are not exposed to them very often. Antibiotics can cause these symptoms even in adults. My husband once got major diarrhea from antibiotics. Last year I had strep throat and since I am allergic to the Penicllin family they gave some strong antibiotic (Clindamyacin maybe can't remember). Any way it gave my son who was over 1 diarrhea. Then because he was sick he wanted to nurse all the time and the diarrhea got worse so I finally just stopped taking it ( which you never supposed to do). At that point his health was more important than mine and I ended up getting over it just fine. I will not use that antibiotic again there are so many they should be able to prescribe a different one that won't be so hard on her system. Weaker gut is definitely not the right word maybe more sensitive but I'd be willing to bet alot of formula fed babies would have the same reaction.
    Did this for 9months with Kailey and Hailey
    who are now 8.

weaned Dane somewhere around 3.5 no longer he likes to sleep with his sisters He's now 5

Now I am , , My baby Cruz who is almost 6 months and my last baby

doctors...

I found this fascinating. Really hit home with my babies. Something I will need to research further.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Well, if we are going to talk about gut bacteria...Gut Bacteria Know Secrets About Your Future

ETA: Holy Cow Kim that article is really something. I'm not sure how I feel about it at all (as the mom of a substantial pooper and the mega loose pooper). But I will tell you this
    Other indications of poor gut function include cradle cap, eczema, skin rashes, “baby acne”, a red ring around the anus, thrush, dark circles under the eyes, difficulty organizing states, cognitive delay, difficulty sleeping, poor appetite, poor growth, “colic”, “high-needs” behaviours, congestion, reflux, refusing the breast, arching at the breast, gassiness and infection.
    and quite how many of these "indicators" DS has has me feeling very twitchy
    Last edited by @llli*durhamgrrl; June 12th, 2011 at 11:31 AM.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I just read this this morning.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Sounds like the doctors opinion and not based in fact. I might ask my regular probreastfeeding doc about it at your next appointment.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    Well, if we are going to talk about gut bacteria...Gut Bacteria Know Secrets About Your Future
    Other indications of poor gut function include cradle cap, eczema, skin rashes, “baby acne”, a red ring around the anus, thrush, dark circles under the eyes, difficulty organizing states, cognitive delay, difficulty sleeping, poor appetite, poor growth, “colic”, “high-needs” behaviours, congestion, reflux, refusing the breast, arching at the breast, gassiness and infection.
    ETA: Holy Cow Kim that article is really something. I'm not sure how I feel about it at all (as the mom of a substantial pooper and the mega loose pooper). But I will tell you this and quite how many of these "indicators" DS has has me feeling very twitchy

Suddenly I feel very twitchy too...those pretty much describe ds1 too. DS2 has a few of those but not all. Maybe I shouldn't have read it...its bringing on mamma guilt. They were both c-sections and ds1 had major issues breastfeeding from the beginning. He wouldn't nurse so they gave him expressed colostrum mixed with sugar water. I could write for pages about other things that went on when he was an infant...but now is a 3.5 yo that always says his tummy hurts, always looks tired but isn't anemic, has rashes and exzema. So I guess what Im wondering is, if this is indeed the issue, how do you fix it? With probiotics? Sorry to
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    I just read this this morning.
    Whoa. This is something that I need to investigate. I mean the bells are going off .
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together