Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: producing enough milk & doc threatening me

Default Re: producing enough milk & doc threatening me

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    I would beg to differ. We have BCBS Federal, and I can't get them to pay a dime for anything at all related to lactation. Never have been able to, over the last 6 years, and even now, even with a baby with a cleft lip and palate. Not the LCs I used for advice and assistance, not the hospital grade pump my child requires to be able to eat, not the specialized nipples he uses. None of it. They flat out told me -- and I went up the chain -- and it's in their book too that all expenses related to lactation are specifically excluded.

I was thinking...just HOW would the doctor force someone into your home?
    the only way I was able to get the LC covered was because she was an RN in private practice.

Military doctors could. If you live on a base your life isn't your own.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I would beg to differ. We have BCBS Federal, and I can't get them to pay a dime for anything at all related to lactation. Never have been able to, over the last 6 years, and even now, even with a baby with a cleft lip and palate. Not the LCs I used for advice and assistance, not the hospital grade pump my child requires to be able to eat, not the specialized nipples he uses. None of it. They flat out told me -- and I went up the chain -- and it's in their book too that all expenses related to lactation are specifically excluded.
    i should clarify.... most bcbs will cover it if it is an lc in a private practice... something to the effect that an md apparently legitimizes the need... basically we were reimbursed as though it were a referral by the ped.
    Proud Mommy to my little Amelia (5-18-2011)

Hey ladies!
    I'm going to respond in a second to all of the wonderful (and extremely helpful!) comments i've received since my last post BUT I want to update first!
    My daughter is now 8 pounds and 6 1/2 ounces (as of yesterday)! YAY! This is even a day earlier than the appt. and she's a pound and half an ounce more than she should be! What I ended up doing was I COMPLETELY stopped formula feeding (after about 48-72 hrs. of infrequent formula feeds) and started to do everything I remembered doing when I first started bf'ing. This included:
    -Taking fenugreek (and this time I added Blessed Thistle as, from my research, they are said to be better and more effective when taken together)
    -Pumping at least 2-3 times during the day
    -Eating more food, making sure it's as natural as possible
    -Taking an iron supplement with my prenatal vitamin (because I tend to be anemic and i've read that anemia can lower milk supply)

Now, after fact finding and reading more of Dr. Jack Newman's articles, for the last two days i've been giving 1-2 feedings of 1/2 a teaspoon of very finely ground oatmeal with water and breastmilk mixed in until runny. Usually, because of this she'll sleep for 2-5 hours which is great for me- not only do I have time to pump intensively, but, I have time to build up more milk by the time she's ready to eat so she's more likely to get a little bit more milk at each feeding. She gained 1 1/2 ounce in one day because of this. Now, I only decided my DD was a candidate for giving very fine cereal grains to because:
    -She's not gaining as much weight as she could (by the doctor's estimation anyway)
    -Because it allows my milk supply to rebound a bit better
    -Because i've read allover the web about other mother's doing this with success as long as they keep up the pumping and regular breastfeeding to keep their supply up
    -Because in comparison it's a million times better than formula.. at first I felt guilty (because usually cereal isn't given until between the 4-6 month mark) but after going through the pros and cons, it HAS to be better than a bunch of chemicals that smell terrible and give my DD a rash since it's all natural oats and i'm grinding it myself

I'm very happy I stumbled on feeding my DD cereal as a supplement and hopefully, for anyone who is struggling a bit with weight for their babies, this information could prove to be helpful! I'm only going to feed her 1-2 feedings a day (only as much as she'll take.. I only give her about 1/2 tsp of the mixture in one sitting as any extra calories she's taking is a big help.. I don't want to overstuff her or cause any other problems as a result) until she's about 4 months and then i'll step it up from there with some mashed fruits but I want to wait at least until she's a bit more interested in food first.

Alrighty! On to the responses! Thanks again ladies!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*saidah View Post
    hi mama!
    I'm so sorry you're having to deal with all this worry (I mean gosh, we worry enough over our babes when everything is going perfectly... all this stress from unsupportive docs is so hard to handle).
    I just wanted to let you know my experience with the piercing aspect: I too had my nipples pierced for many years (I loved them!). After several years my left nipple started to reject the ring (no infection or anything) by pushing the ring outward. My piercer took the ring out since it would have eventually pushed all the way through leaving me with a split nipple (ick!). I ended up taking them both out and they healed normally (there are small scars on both sides of both nipples).
    fastforward about 7 years to breastfeeding my LO... the side that started to reject the piercing seems to have extra scar tissue that blocks some of the milk pores in my nipple (when I pump there is a very obvious difference in the amount of places the milk flows from on that side). My production on that side is a bit lower since my LO has given preferential treatment to the side the piercing didn't reject on. She will still nurse on the side with extra scar tissue, but i make sure to put her on that side first when she's more willing to work a little harder for her meal. Anyhoo, I guess my point is: when you pump do you see several places the milk flows/sprays from (as opposed to just one or two spots)? if it looks like the milk flows from the nipple well, I wouldn't worry too much about scar tissue.
    Hang in there mama and I hope things get easier for you very soon.
    Hi Saidah!
    Thanks for responding.
    You aren't kidding! So many things to worry about and adding all this worrying to the equation is deFinitely difficult and it just hurts to have a doctor say these things without thinking about how it effects the breastfeeding woman. I really appreciate your kind words! Awesome, you had a piercing too?! I loved the piercing also but my hubby came to the conclusion that my piercings never really closed...I think i'm one of those rare, rare people that ended up having an allergy to titanium (my body is a bit temperamental...I can be allergic to everything but yellow gold for some reason). Oh my goodness! yes... i've heard of that happening! Were you okay during the process? I remember it really hurt bad even after it was supposed to have healed- I have the scars too on both sides and they seem to be causing my nipple to get more misshapen with time. I'm going through the same thing as you went through with you LO on my left nipple.. it seems to be significantly more scarred and I only know this because it was always easier for me to care for my right nipple than my left (because I was caring for both at the same time).

That's a great idea (putting LO on the scarred side first)! I used to do it in reverse and put my DD on my right side first and my left side second which usually would mean she would only get a little milk out of the left side at the end of the meal after she was already full but I think your idea is much, much better. I'm definitely going to try it, thanks!

The milk on the right side (the non-damaged side) the milk sprays allover and on the left side, it only comes out a few places...lol ugh if I knew this was going to happen i'd have never gotten them originally nor would I have continued to re-pierce them! lol hindsight, right? Oh man lol thanks so much for telling me your experience, and for your support! from one previously pierced mama to another, thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    If you are seeing a military doctor then I can understand his arrogance. Often times they take advantage of the fact you have nowhere else to go. Personally, I think you are doing everything right, but you may want to ease your mind by seeing a lactation consultant or another doctor.
    Omg it's totally that way...
    and they know you have no where to go because insurance is very specific when it comes to MTfs and whether or not they are close to where you reside.
    I think next time i'm going to be a bit more vocal and a bit more clear about information relating to breastfeeding and how much most breastfed babies can gain within a week. I've read that 4-7 ounces is perfectly normal for babies to gain within a week and that breastfed babies can tend to be a bit smaller. Heck, i'm almost tempted to go ahead and print out as much information as necessary to give to the doctor. I'm kicking myself for not standing up for what I believe it but they can truly be bullies when you're visiting for an appt. Thank you so much for your advice! I think i'm going to try to save up an see an LC (unfortunately she seems to be the only doctor ever on when I take my DD and i'm wondering if this is on purpose and I don't think my insurance covers LC's but i'm going to make a call today).

I was thinking...just HOW would the doctor force someone into your home?
    Omg you're so right..I'm not sure about hnfs but gov't insurance, generally, they pay for something if a doctor can prove it's medical necessity. Otherwise they are so cheap with the wrong things. That's a very, very good question lol and one I didn't think about. Goodness i've read and heard enough about these types of things escalating all the way to DCF (the state). I think was has me nervous is that she's technically not a military doctor but a civilian one.. I don't think i'd put it past her. And frankly i'm truly frightened I don't even know if I want to find out, :

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    the only way I was able to get the LC covered was because she was an RN in private practice.

Military doctors could. If you live on a base your life isn't your own.
    Lucky! lol
    i'm going to go ahead and see if I can find one of those, but most likely i'm stuck helping myself...sigh. They make accessing anything off post/base so hard!
    They totally can...life so isn't your own. It's scary. Seriously thanks for understanding living on post is such a lonely feeling particularly when it seems no one understands or even hears you- even and especially the doctors. They'll get you to see things their way or they'll force you to.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mrsweisass View Post
    i should clarify.... most bcbs will cover it if it is an lc in a private practice... something to the effect that an md apparently legitimizes the need... basically we were reimbursed as though it were a referral by the ped.
    Ohhh...
    hmmmm I think i'm going to check into that right now. Thanks!

Btw ladies! just weighed DD today and she's 8 pounds and 8 ounces! Thats 3 ounces in 3 days!! if she keeps going like this, I can have her reach her goal of 11 pounds 14 ounces by the end of July! yayyyy!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mrsweisass View Post
    Even that didn't work. I had two IBCLCs who own their own practices write a letter. I had the cleft team write a letter of medical need. I had our ped write a letter. Still nothing.

I have heard that some BCBS groups will pay for lactation supplies and support, but not the program that federal employees can purchase My DH works for DoD and the insurance is very good, other than that and not paying for homebirths.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!