Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: producing enough milk & doc threatening me

Default Re: producing enough milk & doc threatening me

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    Are you in the armed forces? How in the world can a doctor make threats? Let's not forget they work for you, unless there is a situation I'm not aware of. I'd find a new doctor.

Check out this chart. Seems to me she has followed the same growth pattern.
    Ironically hubby is- he's army. Maybe that has something to do with it? Do you know anyone else affiliated with the military that went through this? Thanks for your response!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*milkylucy View Post
    God they do sound awful! Is there any way you can get a second opinion, our first doctor was pushing us to supplement and made snarky remarks about my milk not being good enough for my baby so we ditched her, I really dont think they can send soemone to your house and I really dont think its encessary to supplement, good luck delaing with them!
    I wish I could- we definitely don't have many choices as were stuck going to this pediatrician(s). I hate that!!! Snarky remarks, it's just not necessary... I don't know how people get in the profession and treat others this way. I didn't either but I was surprised by how "firm" she sounded in sending someone to our house. Thanks for your response!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I don't understand one thing - if your baby is allergic to dairy and soy, you need to remove those from your diet. Have you? I can't tell by your response, sorry.

I'll tell you - if my ped ever said they would have sent a nurse to my house, I would have roll: and just walked out.
    I'm sorry I didn't explain too well!
    I only eat trace amounts of dairy on an irregular basis and no soy.... and she seems to be fine. Lol I hear that. I just really sat there, stunned and hurt. I didn't even know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post

According to this, she is just below the 50th% for her age (assuming a weight of 3.5kg): http://www.who.int/childgrowth/stand...irls_p_0_6.pdf

Here's a link where the CDC ITSELF recommends that they use the WHO charts for the first 2 years. Clearly he's not up on his current recs: http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/

not trying to be too picky, but you misread the chart-- the top numbers (up to 13) are weeks, not months. so her daughter (assuming she is 9 weeks old) is indeed at the lowest percentile for her weight, which is probably why her ped is freaking.
    Proud Mommy to my little Amelia (5-18-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mrsweisass View Post
    not trying to be too picky, but you misread the chart-- the top numbers (up to 13) are weeks, not months. so her daughter (assuming she is 9 weeks old) is indeed at the lowest percentile for her weight, which is probably why her ped is freaking.
    she's just about 9 weeks...
    hmmm- I do have one question to ask, if possible... if her head circumference and length are exactly fine for her age, she's soiling and wetting diapers frequently, does weight matter much (I definitely know that it matters, definitely) as long as she's following her growth curve (even if its at the lowest percentile)?

I would add... i pointed that out, but I also have a little girl-- she was 5lbs 13oz, and while she is on the lower end of the growth chart too, our pediatrician has been great about breastfeeding as long as she stays on her chart projections and doesnt fall off. One thing he did have me do, though, was see the LC in his practice, and she encouraged me, at least for a little while, to pump and supplement. My DD is 3 weeks, and she was supposed to be getting 56 ml, assuming she fed every 3 hours. I would assume your daughter needs a bit more (56 was based on a weight of 6lbs4oz) than mine did at that point, but it should be really easy to check that she is getting enough with your scale.

I would suggest keeping notes on how much she is taking in for a few days, and maybe bringing that into your ped.

I would add... i pointed that out, but I also have a little girl-- she was 5lbs 13oz, and while she is on the lower end of the growth chart too, our pediatrician has been great about breastfeeding as long as she stays on her chart projections and doesnt fall off. One thing he did have me do, though, was see the LC in his practice, and she encouraged me, at least for a little while, to pump and supplement. My DD is 3 weeks, and she was supposed to be getting 56 ml, assuming she fed every 3 hours. I would assume your daughter needs a bit more (56 was based on a weight of 6lbs4oz) than mine did at that point, but it should be really easy to check that she is getting enough with your scale.

I would suggest keeping notes on how much she is taking in for a few days, and maybe bringing that into your ped.
    Excellent advice! Thanks!
    You're very lucky- I think im going to try to find a supportive ped. like that and do as another great poster mentioned...use the 2nd ped. to back up my breastfeeding. I want to find an LC too...lol it seems like everything is hard to find where I live lol but ill pay out of pocket for both even if it bankrupts me and my SO lol okay im going to start trying to pump while DD sleeps and see how much im getting on average... thanks for the estimate i'll keep that in mind as I pump...you know, its funny.. shes definitely getting something out because she gains weight everyday...hopefully being more proactive with the supplements will help! okay i'm definitely charting to bring in with me- thanks again for the wonderful advice.

You are so right. My apologies.

Her pedi is still wack.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

you should check with your insurance as well--most insurance providers will reiumburse all or part of a lactation consultant. The Blues (BCBS) are especially good with this... and if you are military insured, i find it hard to imagine that they would cover at least part of it. You could even ask your ped if s/he could give you a referral, if that helps. Just make sure you get a form from the LC to submit to insurance.

I just want to second the opinion of earlier posters that you should consider supplementing with your own pumped breast milk if you need to do that. Even though it doesn't sound like supply is an issue, that will just help ensure that she's getting enough.

If you can manage, weigh-feed-weigh every single time and write those numbers down. At the end of the day, total up what she's eaten and be sure it's enough. (A lactation consultant would be a good resource for those numbers.)

I'm sorry that you had such a non-supportive doctor. I think it helps to show that you are on top of the issue, and keeping weight and feeding records will help to do that. I did it for several months with my second, and though my doctor never threatened me at all and was quite supportive, I think part of the reason he was so supportive was that he knew I was making sure that my little boy always got enough to eat. It helped reassure me too, even though it was a pain.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)