Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: producing enough milk & doc threatening me

Default Re: producing enough milk & doc threatening me

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Even that didn't work. I had two IBCLCs who own their own practices write a letter. I had the cleft team write a letter of medical need. I had our ped write a letter. Still nothing.

I have heard that some BCBS groups will pay for lactation supplies and support, but not the program that federal employees can purchase My DH works for DoD and the insurance is very good, other than that and not paying for homebirths.
    What a bummer! My BCBS is through the Presbyterian Church... i guess I assumed that the military would have at least as good as the church! And I guess I should know what they say about those who make assumptions....

So I am curious.... I thought you weren't supposed to supplement anything in milk/formula without a doctor's approval.... so did you talk to your doc about the cereal, or is that somehow different?
    Proud Mommy to my little Amelia (5-18-2011)

yay for weight gain! glad to hear something is working for you mommy! another suggestion: call the community hospitals in your area to see if any offer a free breastfeeding clinic. I don't know how common they are (I might just be really lucky) but our local community hospital offers a no-cost drop-in clinic solely for breastfeeding Monday-Friday, 9a-1p. there's always an LC and dr on duty to offer help, supplies and weigh-ins. such a blessing! keep on with the keeping on momma!
    I'm a dreadlock wearing lucky SAHM to Sabeen Hunter (1/08/11) and wife to my sweet husband Amin.
    Love

Hi all!!
    Just wanted to update on the situation!
    My daughter was in surgery at the end of June so I couldn't actually breastfeed her for some time after (about 6 hours) and I didn't have access to my pump/a hospital grade pump, so, I ended up getting mastitis in my right breast! Ugh! It was horrible but i've been taking medication and it feels better- I think I had roughly 2-3 plugged ducts in there- yikes!

Anyway, we had to rely on formula during this time, unfortunately, because she was hungry and everytime I would manage to pump lots of milk, it would get used the same day (my DD has always had a very large appetite)....during this time she gained about 2 pounds and 4 ounces (she's 10 pounds and some change now)... As I was feeding formula, I continued trying to keep breastfeeding-- but it seemed my supply dropped because of the formula,..

Long story short, she's had her next check-up and, it appears that most of her weight gained has been because of the formula so now I have myself contemplating giving up breastfeeding because I don't know that i'll ever make enough milk to rival how much and how easy getting formula is from a nipple. Sigh... it's like taking two steps forward and once step back, I swear. My daughter seems so much happier being full off of formula but not as happy and close as we were when I was strictly breastfeeding..I posted a question on the 3-12 month forum about this... hopefully i'll get lots of responses because i'm at a loss for what to do anymore. I temporarily stopped the cereal feeding because the mastitis and caring for my DD post surgery kind of had me distracted...sigh. hopefully things get better...

Hi!
    I think the last part of your question was for me?
    Nooo you're technically not supposed to feed anything in addition to milk/formula... I had read some of Dr. Jack Newman's articles on breastfeeding and he mentioned that feeding cereal/banana/avocado would be fine for a baby that isn't necessarily gaining as they should be, in addition to breastmilk over any formula feeding. I would never probably mention to my doctor that I was doing this because i'm now completely under the impression that the doctor is not out to help my baby by doing what's best for her.. only that the doctor wants to do what she feels best and doesn't care much how I feel about anything. You know? I found most of the best information i've found was through my own research as opposed to doctors opinion (as crazy as it might sound)... I've actually learned much more this way, in fact.

Awwww thank you for being so sweet and supportive!!
    I think i'm going to take your advice.. definitely right now. Sigh... I hate when, along my journey, I keep hitting these darned bumps in the road. You are truly blessed to have those resources at your disposal! lol and you're truly an inspiration, too! Omg I just checked and saw there is a breastfeeding clinic in my area- it's a few hours up north but I think I might visit.. I'm so desperate to keep breastfeeding but I feel like i'm losing my hubby's support (at this point he just wants whatever will keep baby healthy and growing quick) and I never had much from the doctor, but I feel like i'm losing that to.. sigh. No one ever said it would be easy doing what you know in your heart to be right, did they? lol grr..