Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Coming back to breast after being on bottle

Default Coming back to breast after being on bottle

We are going on vacation in 3 months and I'm worried my then 6 month old will have a hard time coming back to breastfeeding after being on the bottle (of my breastmilk) after 5 days. I'm looking for advice on how to make this transition easier and if he will have any problems with this? What bottles are best?

I'm currently pumping milk for him and also want to know if the milk I'm producing now (he's 3 months) will be suffincient for him at 6 months? I'm estimating 20 oz a day with baby food. Is this a good amount?

Default Re: Coming back to breast after being on bottle

Any chance you can take the baby with you?

Default Re: Coming back to breast after being on bottle

I don't want to scare you, but the one situation I've known of like this, the baby did refuse to come back to the breast after the separation. I don't know all the details of what the mom tried to get him back, though.

The milk you produce now will be fine for him in three months, though he might need more than 20 oz. Usually a 6 month old is just beginning solids and not getting nourishment from them.

Breastflow bottles make an infant work a little harder for nursing, and that could perhaps make a transition back to breast a little easier.

I have no experience in this area, though, so perhaps a mom who's been through something similar can offer you some insight.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)