Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Green stool every once in a while?

Question Green stool every once in a while?

Hi ladies

I'm a first time mom with a 6 week old baby, EBF. I've noticed about 30% of his dirty diapers are a olive green color lately (within the last two weeks) and everything I can find on the internet tells me this is something I should be concerned about. He's in cloth diapers, and has a wet diaper every 2-3 hours, and usually a BM (mustard/orange-ish in color) every other diaper or more. The green BMs are only different in color, and are not accompanied by screaming, gas, or excessive wateriness.

Background: He was 8lb 0oz at birth, and lost weight drastically at first, going below the 10% mark. After panicked consultations with the pediatrician and a lactation consultant, he was back up to his birth weight within 3 weeks. As of last week, his naked weight was 10lb 6 oz.

He's a happy baby 90% of the time - he gets a bit fussy in the evenings and wants to nurse nonstop for a few hours before bedtime. He nurses fairly well (after a rough patch early on with the whole latching thing) and although I feel like I have a baby permanently attached to me, he's really doing quite well. His normal schedule is a few feedings at night 3-4 hours apart, and more frequently during the day, about 1.5 to 2 hours apart.

Any ideas as to what might be going on? Is this something I should worry about? Neither his father or I have any major allergy issues or sensitivities, and the kiddo doesn't seem to be unhappy about the situation. Am I just being paranoid?

Thanks for any input!

Default Re: Green stool every once in a while?

Green stool can be totally normal
    http://drjaygordon.com/pediatricks/general/poop.html

What to look for is excessively watery and green or frothy green stool
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Thank you Jenna! That makes me feel a lot better - especially since I'm totally new at this and petrified I'll do something wrong.

By the way, I love your name If we had a girl, I wanted to name her Jenna, but since we had a boy I didn't get my wish.

I agree with Jenna, it sounds like everything is totally normal. I wouldn't worry about the occasional green stool either. You're doing a great job, mama!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

If your baby is happy and gaining weight, almost any color (especially if it's just occasional and not all the time) is "normal."

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.