Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning from nipple shield...

Default Weaning from nipple shield...

When DD latches on to just my breast it hurts...bad. But, when she's latched on to the shield, it doesn't hurt. Is this normal at first?

Default Re: Weaning from nipple shield...

This was happening with me, too, until I went to a LLL meeting & learned how to have my baby latch on correctly. It stopped hurting instantly! I would suggest seeing someone to make sure he doesn't have a shallow latch from the shield like my baby did... It hurt sooo bad until we learned to do it correctly. good luck.

I second the pp, most likely your LO is not latching properly. You really should see someone if possible. An improper latch can cause nipple damage in the form of cracks that can bleed, blisters, and intense soreness. It is important that she is compressing your areola with a full deep latch. This is needed to send your body the signal to produce milk. Nursing on the tip of the nipple is basically pointless and damaging. The following is a LLL link that could help with preventing sore nipples:

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/sore.html

This is a LLL link to help heal sore nipples:

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/heal.html

This is an interesting link about nipple shield friend or foe:

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVJunJul00p39.html

I hope this helped. May I ask why you are using a nipple shield? I myself had to use one for 2 1/2 months with my DS. It was a very difficult and it was a frustrating time. Hang in there and good luck!

I'm using the shield because the lactation consultant thought it might help DD latch better. DD would get the nipple in her mouth and then shake her head vigorously fussing at it. The lc thought that DD couldn't feel the nipple in her mouth, so she thought the shield might help. DD had severe dehydration and was supplemented with formula in a bottle, so the shield helps with that as well.

The shield teaches them to latch differently and poorly. It can be easily fixed but you might want to see your LC again. But your nipples will be sore for awhile so be prepared and know that it gets better!

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

Smile Re: Weaning from nipple shield...

We used the shield (as recommended by a lactation consultant) then to stop using it, we did it accidentally. We were going out and forgot the shield, oops! I was more nervous than she was! But she latched on great and we haven't used it since. It was kind of a forced wean from the shield. After that, we still used it when I was engorged, but we got over that too. Good Luck! We wouldn't go back to it if we had to!