Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Curious about Sides

Default Curious about Sides

I have noticed that my left side produces milk a lot faster than my right breast. After I'm done with the pumping session, the amounts are usually roughly the same, but it takes the right a lot longer to empty (and the right requires more compressions). Has anyone else noticed this? Do you know what the reason would be? I'm just curious.

My left used to get a lot more than the right, but now they seem to be the same in terms of volume.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Default Re: Curious about Sides

I have the same thing, although the right side is faster for me.

I think I have less milk ducts on the left side. So it takes longer to make the same amount of milk.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

It could also be a difference in the size of your breasts. If the horns fit better on one than the other it would make a difference in how efficient it is at emptying it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

So if there are more milk ducts, does that mean more jets of spraying milk? Or not really?

Hmm, different sizes... interesting. I have noticed that my left nipple is bigger than the right... but I would imagine then that the left side would make LESS milk because only a smaller horn would impact the flow, right? Both my horns are the same size.

This whole milk production thing is quite fascinating to me!
    ~ Megan

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mek View Post
    Hmm, different sizes... interesting. I have noticed that my left nipple is bigger than the right... but I would imagine then that the left side would make LESS milk because only a smaller horn would impact the flow, right? Both my horns are the same size.
    Not necessarily, the size being off either way could impact the efficiency. If it's too big it could be not putting enough pressure or not in the right places, if that makes sense.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Not necessarily, the size being off either way could impact the efficiency. If it's too big it could be not putting enough pressure or not in the right places, if that makes sense.
    Ah, interesting. I have some smaller horns. Maybe I'll try one on my right breast!
    ~ Megan

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mek View Post
    Ah, interesting. I have some smaller horns. Maybe I'll try one on my right breast!
    This is what I do. I have fewer jets of milk on my left size, and that side is probably half a cup or more smaller than my right side.

Sometimes I get about the same amount out of both, sometimes I get 3 times the amount out of my right that I get out of my left.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I have one side that produces about 1/3 of the other, and it's not a sizing issue. It's just how I am. That side had two lumpectomies on it when I was in my earlly 20's. The surgeon the first time said he would do everything to preserve milk ducts, but he didn't. The first IBCLC commented on how poor a job he did by cutting straight down around the aerola. The second surgeon just whacked down right through the ducts. I never knew there was such a vast difference in production until I had to EP.

That side also lets down really slowly. I knew that, though, by the reaction of my babies when we would nurse.

I wondered if the two were related, but apparently not, since your production is equal but slow. Interesting!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!