Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need a bit more milk

Default Need a bit more milk

Hey

I just went back to work and I am pumping. My son is now taling the bottle so I am starting to see how much he actually takes during a day. I aim to get 12 oz a day based on his need for 1-1.5 oz per hour we are seperated.

Today I got 11 oz. I am 1 oz short of my needs. I have a freezer stash to deal with tomorrow. I do compressions, smell a shirt of his, hand express after. I feel like I need a way to increase my supply just a little. I don't have a low supply, it is just the act of collecting X amount of ounces which is very different from nursing on demand.

I pump right after he nurses in the am, then again before lunch, I nurse when I can at lunch cause he is close, then I pump 1 more time in the afternoon.

There really isnt another time to pump in the day and I would rather not pump at night, I would rather nurse.

Any suggestions. Should I take some fenugreek? I eat oatmeal everyday.

any ideas??? Thank you!

Default Re: Need a bit more milk

Erin - are you pumping on the weekend? If you pump during one of your regular times on the weekend - in addition to nursing on demand all day - you will up your supply during the week too. And give yourself some insurance.

Or, are you already pumping on the weekend and not able to keep up?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Don't forget - if you are nursing during lunch, then that takes away some of that 12 oz you need (or have you already included that)?

I agree w/ Tracie - for peace of mind, you may want to pump once or twice a day on the weekends to build a little cushion.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Hi
    I dont pump on the weekend and I was kind of trying to avoid it because I hate pumping so much. In the first am pump I get 3-4 oz so I would have an extra 6-8 oz. Ok, I need to suck it up and pump every day

And when I do go for lunch I estimate I need 10 oz but I feel paranoid cutting it so close so I want a little more. The answer is the weekend.

What does taking fenugreek do by the way? does it increase your supply a lot? like too much?
    Last edited by @llli*mtmama; June 7th, 2011 at 05:56 PM.

did i mention i hate pumping?!?!

Personally, I'd give it a a bit of time before freaking out or pumping on weekends. Now that you have to pump regularly, your body may make a little extra if you pump past the point where milk comes out for a few days while at work. That will tell your body at X pumping, make more milk. Does that make sense? Downside is that you'll have a little extra on the weekends and you might be a bit uncomfortable.

I also want to say it may get better...your response to the pump may improve over time. You just started back. This is new. I had a horrible letdown to the pump -- it's still not great -- for some weeks to months, and I pump all the time. It's kind of a learned response.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I don't like pumping either. But you gotta do what you gotta do.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I don't like pumping either. But you gotta do what you gotta do.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

ok...i'll give it another week. thank you!