Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pumping issues - suddenly not pumping much milk!

Default Pumping issues - suddenly not pumping much milk!

I have a Medela PISA, just starting this week I have been having trouble with it. Normally I pump a minimum of about 6.5 to 7 oz and upwards of 9 oz with my first pump of the day then about 3 - 4.5 oz each pump afterwards. Right now it's about 5 oz first pump, then 2.5 to 3.5 for the next pumps.

I am wondering if my pump is losing suction? I can still get streams of milk and express a fair bit after I've been pumping a good 20-25 minutes. Right now I'm having to pump twice in the evening to get enough milk for my sons bottles for the next day.

Anyone else experience similar problems? How did you resolve them? I called Medela and they just said to replace the membranes (doing that tonight as hubby has a BRU near his work) and failing that they'll need to troubleshoot the pump with me.

Anything I can do in the meantime to keep my supply up/get more milk while I pump? My son is almost 10 months and I need 15 oz to fill his bottles for childcare, if that helps any.

Default Re: Pumping issues - suddenly not pumping much milk!

Is it possible you are about to start your period? That can cause a supply dip in a lot of women.

Eating oatmeal can give you a temporary boost if you need it, too.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Is it possible you are about to start your period? That can cause a supply dip in a lot of women.
    That, or pregnancy.

Make sure you are getting enough fluids. Have you been sick recently? I had a couple of bad pumping days last week, a couple of days after coming down w/ something.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post

Eating oatmeal can give you a temporary boost if you need it, too.
    I'm almost 10 months PP and have yet to get my period back, so I guess it's possible that it might be starting. My little guy is starting to eat more solids, but not really nursing any less (although he did sleep for a 6 hour stretch last night )

I eat oatmeal every morning, including yesterday and today. I hate it at this point, but am afraid to stop eating it. I shall try having a small bowl at lunch today. I also drink Mothers Milk tea like it's going out of style.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    That, or pregnancy.

Make sure you are getting enough fluids. Have you been sick recently? I had a couple of bad pumping days last week, a couple of days after coming down w/ something.
    Nope, not pregnant and not sick either. I've had a few bad pumping days when sick too earlier in the year.

Maybe it's just one of those things. Who knows . I will replace my membranes and then troubleshoot with Medela if that doesn't fix the problem.

My bet is on your period. But definitely try the membranes and see if that helps. It would be awesome if it was a quick fix like that.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I'm betting on membranes because I had the same experience not too long ago.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks, Ladies. I will let you know tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    I'm betting on membranes because I had the same experience not too long ago.
    Aprilsmagic, I fished through my pumping bag and was able to find a bag with old membranes in there. I think they were from the first time I changed my membranes out. So I figured what the heck, they couldn't cause anymore harm at this point and so I put them on my pump and I was able to get 4.5 oz for my mid day pump . So maybe it IS the membranes that are the problem? My hubby text me not long ago to let me know that after going to a 2nd BRU he was able to get me some new membranes. So hopefully tomorrow should be closer to business as usual.

Do you have a Target nearby? They stock them in the ones in my area.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

My first thoughts were (1) AF returning or pregnant; or (2) pump parts not installed correctly or need new membranes. I sometimes found that by taking everything apart and then putting it back together, FIRMLY, I could resolve suction problems. Another possible cause of lower output is a clogged duct, especially if it's mostly on one side. Any sore or tender spots?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.