Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suspect Thrush and totally demoralized!

Default Suspect Thrush and totally demoralized!

I think we have thrush, but I'm not sure.

DD is 9 mo and has a diaper rash that looks like a bunch of small red circles. Not common for her. She has no other symptoms

My left nipple and areola are on fire! Hurts all the time, is red, swollen and dark pink color. Pain is even worse when bf.

I'm pretty sure this is thrush and I'm so demoralized! I've been looking at other posts and it seems like such a nightmare! I don't want to deal with this for months!

So here are my questions:

1. does it ALWAYS last awhile?
    2. if there are no white bumps in dd's mouth does that mean she doesn't have it in her mouth?
    3. i'm currently doing vinegar rinse after nursing followed by antifungal cream. and a probiotic (it's phillips colon health don't know if that's a great one)
    4. we've suspected a milk allergy in dd so i'm not doing acidophilus, what other probiotics will help with yeast?
    5. my pedi didn't say anything about medicine (nystatin or diflucan), should i be taking one now or do i wait until it gets entrenched in us?
    6. i have been washing and rinsing things off like crazy! is this helpful? if i get bm on something does it need to be washed immediately?
    7. i've read bad things about GSE, and gentian violet seems very potent, are these necessary from the get go?

i really want to nip this before it turns into a long and painful experience! any suggestions would be much appreciated!

thanks!
    Last edited by @llli*nightingale; June 8th, 2011 at 06:35 PM.

Default Re: Suspect Thrush and totally demoralized!

Was one of you (or both) recently on antibiotics? That's the most common cause.

I think you can get dairy free probiotics at the natural foods store. Sorry, I'm not an expert on that point.

It does NOT always last awhile, especially for an older baby and more experienced mom. You may be able to nip it in the bud in just a few days. It sounds like you're doing everything right. Bet it'll be gone soon!

I would keep up what you're doing for a day or two, and if it gets WORSE, consider GSE and maybe gentian violet. They are not necessary from the get-go, and are usually reserved for worse cases, which (again due to the age of your LO, and her more mature immune system) I doubt you have. However, they are potent, so you might want to start them if you're not seeing any improvement on your current regime.

Thrush can be a nightmare, but almost always with newborn babies and new nursing moms, who get a case and then can't shake it, because baby's immune system is so immature, baby doesn't have "natural flora" to fight the yeast. New moms' immune system may be compromised by antibiotics and just tiredness after birth, too.

With an older baby, she should have a good amount of natural flora and you should be strong and healthy, and chances are, you will shake it much faster.

Basically, keep doing what you're doing. Get on top of it now, and it is likely to clear up in a week or two tops. Keep treating (at least with probiotics, you may be able to lay off the vinegar rinse) for 14 days, though, to prevent a relapse.

ETA: Sprinkle probiotic powder right on her bottom, and try some antifungal cream there too. Yeast diaper rash is NOT fun.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

No antibiotics, however she did bite me and it bled. I think that paired with a wet nursing pad probably did it.

Thank you so much for the encouragement! I have never had a problem with yeast before and was so scared to deal with it!

one more question, should i be treating dd's mouth with something to prevent contamination?

also, should i treat the other breast too even if it has no symptoms?

thanks again so much!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nightingale View Post
    No antibiotics, however she did bite me and it bled. I think that paired with a wet nursing pad probably did it.

Thank you so much for the encouragement! I have never had a problem with yeast before and was so scared to deal with it!

one more question, should i be treating dd's mouth with something to prevent contamination?

also, should i treat the other breast too even if it has no symptoms?

thanks again so much!
    I would treat your LO with probiotics, that's probably enough. If you don't see improvement with your current treatment, try gentian violet or GSE for both of you.

Treat both breasts. It's not that hard, and you'd hate to just have the yeast jump ship for the other breast!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Personally, I would just go for the GSE. What have you heard that's bad?

The first time we had thrush it went on and on. But Clea had it about 3 months ago, and I was able to knock it out in about 4 days with GSE, probiotics, fluconzole and nystain.

Yes, dairy-free probiotics are easily available at the health food store.

I encourage you to fight fire with fire. Go at it with everything you've got and nip it in the bud.

http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

thanks so much for all your help! i woke up today feeling much better! i do have a few more questions though:

when i originally called my pedi they just said to do antifungal cream on my breasts and dd bottom and to wait a few weeks. so basically i'm not getting any diflucan/ nystatin anytime soon from them. if i called my OB would they be more sympathetic?

if I do GSE do you recommend the caspules or topical application? how do you give it to baby?

do you give baby probiotics right before a feeding? i nurse my baby to sleep so i'm worried about all the milk that's left in her mouth after a feeding while she's asleep. when i feed her between naps, she takes about an ounce of water to rinse it out.

and also, my baby is a kneeder when she nurses. i'm worried about her fingers getting yeast from touching my breast and also putting her hands in her mouth. is there anything i can do/apply to her fingers to prevent it?

thanks again so much, this forum is wonderful, especially when you have a not-so-bf-friendly pedi!

Can't speak to the GSE, I've always been able to get rid of yeast with just the OTC ointment and probiotics, but I agree with PP - there's no harm in it, so why not try it?

Don't worry about your baby's fingers, etc. Two reasons: (1) You're treating with OTC ointments, so she's probably not getting a lot of yeast anyway. (2) Yeast normally lives in our mouths, digestive tracts, vaginas, etc. It's only a "problem" when it grows and multiplies, usually due to a disturbance in our natural flora. So yeast is not itself the problem, and someone with a healthy immune system and good natural flora can resist it no problem. For newborns, who have almost no natural flora of their own, I would worry more about any contact with thrush - bottles, breastmilk, etc. But for an older baby, I would just dose with probiotics, use the antifungal cream, GSE, and whatever other treatments, and call it a day. Once her natural resistance is built up again, she'll be fine.

Your breastmilk contains natural probiotics, so part of the healing is to get your natural flora back where it should be, so that your milk can help heal your daughter's thrush, rather than make it worse. Thus, while you're doing this, your milk is the BEST thing for your daughter.

That's just my two cents, though. Some mamas would advise sterilizing everything. That just seems like overkill to me, a measure I would only use if the other measures didn't work for a long time.

You can call me JoMo!

I never did the strealizing thing. I have always treated with an OTC cream such as monistat or canesten. I use that on my nipple before AND after a feeding. That way you are treating your breasts and babys mouth. Yes, the tube says for external use only, but it is perfectly safe for baby. My source? My ob and my midwife both told me the same thing two years apart. I would also use the cream on the babys bottom. We use GSE too. I put a couple drops in my water and drink it. Its a little bitter. We also put in our spray bottle that we use for getting washcloths wet for diaper changes. That way the butt is gettting a topical application of GSE too. We always do that for diaper changes even when we don't have thrush just because me and both kids are extreamly prone to it.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

Based on my history and the reading I have done I would go with the GSE and OTC creams. (Personally I would not use GV but that is a really personal choice) I would sterilize any pacifiers and if I was pumping I would sterilize the horns bottles etc and I would not store any milk I pumped just feed it within a day or two.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Read the link I posted about gse. You can take it in pills. It's really nasty otherwise.

I cleaned like a banshee. If you are doing everything else, I'd do this too. It's no fun but neither is thrush.

I used GV as a last resort.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!