Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: no support in nursing a 22 month old

Default Re: no support in nursing a 22 month old

Mama, she IS getting all the right stuff from your breast milk. As a baby and NOW as a toddler. I'm so sorry you're getting flack from family members . I'm still nursing my 3.5 year old . We pick and choose who we nurse in front of these days, but I wouldn't change our relationship for anything. Hanging in there; you ARE doing the right thing !

Yoginimama - she thinks that its bad to continue nursing more then a year because my daughter isn’t getting the right “nutrients” from food because she wants to nurse. She eats solids fine and I do give her a multivitamin everyday. Also she thinks that she is to “attached” to me. My mother in-law is an amazing person so it really does suck that I don’t have her support

Smile Re: no support in nursing a 22 month old

Thank you everybody for the all of the wonderful information and the support!!!

your milk is more nutritious that any solids and it is really nice knowing that your toddler is nursing when their diet doesn't always look balanced (like someone else already mentioned). There isn't such thing as too attached. She is supposed to be attached to you, you're her mother for crying out loud!! Some people won't listen, though, and just need to be ignored or told that the topic isn't up for discussion.

My in-laws are visiting this weekend and if they say anything I'll just say "why do you ask?" and then say "I don't wish to discuss it" if it's something I don't want to talk about like weaning or when we're having our next kid (kind of touchy subject because my fertility isn't what it needs to be).
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

It makes me feel better that others are going through the same thing as me, although it's still no fun! I have no support at all from mil or my mother and little support from DH. They think because I'm only 21 I don't know how to raise a kid! But I love nursing and co-sleeping and wouldn't change a thing!!

My MIL even gave my EBF baby formula at 4 months behind my back.. I only found out because her breath stunk, she was cranky, and she spit up a weird color. I brought plenty of milk for the day and she sent back extra. She dumped some of it out so I wouldn't find out. After confronting her her reply was "it wasn't a big deal." Some people...
    Last edited by @llli*aynasmommy; June 9th, 2011 at 10:38 PM.
    Ayna ~ born 10/22/09
    Still and despite the controversy of society!

I breastfed my son for 22 months too and kinda asked him to stop because i was pregnant. Sometimes when he sees baby sister nursing, he asks to nurse and i let him nurse because I feel that since he's a picky eater he can atleast get his nutrients from my milk. Dad thinks it's weird since he's 3 now, but we mostly nurse when dad is not around. follow your heart and do not worry about what other people think.

Just wanted to give some support. You aren't doing anything wrong. IME, eventually they will stop asking You know, I couldn't possibly be BFing and pregnant right?
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    Just out of curiosity - what does she think?? That it's bad??

I'm sorry you are having a hard time, mama. I don't think you'll ever regret following your heart and nursing. For me, I would later regret giving in to pressure when my heart told me otherwise. Follow your heart.
    I live in the USA near my MIL, so it's great to have her support. My own mother lives in the UK so it's only during visits that she gets to tell me how BFing a "great big child like that" is "utterly ridiculous". The thing about my mother is that she doesn't reason or think, she feels. She's very emotional and her feelings rule, and I've realized there's no point in offering facts or logic because they don't penetrate. Her feeling is that nursing him is making me weak, skinny and exhausted...plus the fact that it's 'utterly ridiculous' of course

To orig poster, sorry for the It's wonderful when people are willing to listen to WHY you do things your way (like my MIL does) but if they won't (like my mother) that's their decision. All you can do is be willing to offer an explanation. And do your own thing!
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009